Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Rough Day...

I know that nobody likes a whiner, so don't read this if you're one of those people. I have what we like to refer to as Jones Luck, which according to the Webster's Dictionary... j/k, but for reals, it sucks to be a Jones. So on Sunday night as we were driving to my parent's house, the gas light came on in my car and Philip told me to MAKE SURE AND GET GAS BEFORE WORK TOMORROW. I hate getting gas, just so you know, so I figured I could make it at least until after work. But being the good lil wifey that I am, decided to hit up the gas station en route to work. Well, that was the plan at least, but not what was planned for me. I was pulling out of my parking spot and heading down to the street, and my car died. Yikes. So I crossed my fingers and restarted it, which worked and I thought that I'd be able to make it to the gas station. Nope, it died again, right as I was about to pull onto Guadalupe, and it would not start. So there I was, sitting at the entrance to our complex, trying to find my hazard lights, and on the verge of tears. My options at this point were slim, not like I could back up, or put it in neutral and push it, I have the opposite of any muscle in my arms, Philip was at work 25 miles away...so I locked the car and started walking. In these painfully adorable gold heels: So luckily soon after I started walking, Amy Ricks and her heart of gold said good morning and asked me if I was okay. Holding back the tears, I said yes and then asked her for a ride to the gas station on the corner, where she took me, and I bought a small jug and took it back to my car, got gas all over my hands, and dumped it in the tank. Then off to the gas station to top her off, and off to work. Waah, I was 20 minutes late for work.

Then as I walked up to the office door, I noticed it was open, and I walked in, and it was a nice 76 degrees, instead of the morning 67 that it usually is at, and it smelled like burning. Our air conditioning burned out sometime early in the morning, and when Brooke first got there, there was like a hazy smoke everywhere and it smelled even stronger of burning. We called and got the AC guys on their way, but they showed up at like 10:45, and it was more than luke warm by then. Oh well, at least it's fixed, and doesn't smell like burning anymore.

Then since all Jones luck comes in threes, as I was at school last night. Oh, I might have forgotten to mention that I'm taking summer school. And guess how much I love watching people? A lot. There are so many weirdos in summer school, and even more weirdos in night classes, so the combination of the two is positively entertaining. Anyways, much to my surprise, last night a girl from one of my other classes came in, and I had her sit by me so that neither of us would have to sit by the 52ish year old lady that kept picking out - with an actual pick - her lovely permed curls. So that was good that we were sitting next to each other. What was bad is that she told me that the prereqs for hygiene are changing as of next year. So if I get in this year, that would be fabulous and not effect me. If I don't, I'm basically screwed. I am so not in the mood to retake science classes, remember how happy I was when I was done with them? So yeah, that was the third event of non-awesomeness yesterday.

Enough of me whining though, I have lots and lots and lots to be grateful for, and I know that. One thing that I am especially grateful for is the fact that I didn't cry once yesterday, despite the overwhelming urge to about six times. But the reason that life is seriously good today is that I have a full tank of gas! Hallelujah!

9 comments:

Kelli said...

Sad day! I am very, very sorry about your Jones luck. I do recall you telling me some pretty bad stories of that dastardly luck of yours. Its too bad that luck followed you despite changing your last name. Something that might cheer you up a bit...look at the second comment on one of my birthday posts if you haven't already...

Anonymous said...

well, at least you have fantastic shoes! love 'em. along with the jones luck, you have the jones sense of humor...which keeps me fully entertained as i read your blogs and your comments by your freakishly funny familia.

Brent and Brooke said...

Poor Melissa, I can't believe you didn't cry. Are those the shoes where the heel is coming off? If they are that would be your luck that while pushing your car the heal would break off. I'm glad you finally made it to work because I don't know what I would do without you.

Grace Ryan said...

oh my goodness! You poor thing! I think those condos where we live were struck with bad luck. I'm so glad Amy Ricks was there to pick you up. She is such a sweet heart. I hope your gold shoes weren't ruined. You are so cute! I miss you!

HooHoo said...

Amy Ricks=good luck! Thanks Amy! Sounds like Brooke saved your job as well by not allowing the office to burn up. Thanks Brooke! And thanks to pick lady for the entertainment in class. Sounds like a great day to me. I think Jones luck = a good story later.

angiedunn said...

everyone deserves to whine/vent...that's what i say!! sorry about your no-good-horribly-sad -run-out-of-gas-day. hey- at least you didn't fall in those amazingly cute & highly fashionable shoes!! i can guarantee you, if i wore heals that high, i would trip & have a grade two ankle sprain on my hands. i speak from experience...it's happened. oh, and true that hoohoo, jones luck=entertaining blog posts!! love ya mels!

The Jones Fam said...

Good ol' Jones luck. I'm whispering this, so as to not jynx myself, but I've gone quite a while without any bouts of it. But I do have some good stories about starting podiatry clinic last week. Ahhh... toenails. In the next day or two I'll post some "dotes" from my experiences thus far. (dotes=anecdotes... I'm trying to invent a new word that becomes popular. Then maybe I'll be popular enough to comment on your blog without feeling self-consious that all the cool kids are pointing and laughing at me- like when I pooped my pants in 3rd grade and walked home with elementary school TP squares in my undies. Hey- that's Jones luck for you. Or maybe just plain old lack of sphincter control) Wonderful. Now I've made everyone uncomfortable... using the words sphincter, pooped and undies in one sentence. I guess I've left my "mark" on your blog.
Jake

Sara! said...

I'm a little offended at Brooke for saying that she doesn't know what she'd do without you, WHAT ABOUT ME? TK, kindof. Jake, I like "dotes" and will probably use it. I like that you referred to poop. My assumption towards the end of my last post is correct then, yes? Miss, you're day was great because you finally got onto MD's website and saw her pictures. Remember? AND YOU'LL GET INTO SCHOOL BECAUSE YOU'RE QUITE POSSIBLY A GENIUS!

angiedunn said...

girl, right back at ya dawg. i truly enjoy "tidbits" from the lindblom/palmer/nielson/jones crew just as much! blogging for life! {wow, i'm a nerd}