Thursday, June 7, 2007

My Disability...or Perhaps Talent?

So I have been quite the bottomless pit lately, eating enormous amounts of food and never feeling full. For example, going to Chipotle last weekend, eating my newborn baby-sized burrito, finishing it in 3 minutes flat, and then asking Philip, did my burrito not seem very full tonight? It's Chipotle, they're always full. My point exactly.
So today at work a patient brought us two enormous cases of strawberries, that were by far the most scrumptious strawberries I've had in my entire life. They were this pretty:

Like red to the very top, incredibly soft without being squishy, and so sweet. So naturally since they were placed in my sight, I ate my weight in them by 11:00 this morning, in addition to a bagel...with cream cheese. Bad choice I thought, as I was meeting my friend at Ned's in an hour. So I thought that I wouldn't be able to eat much at lunch. Nope, wrong again. I ate my entire samwich, pickle spear, and two cups of soda, and it was delightful.

This is why I've come to the conclusion that there is something wrong with me. I don't think that I have the mechanism in my brain that tells me to be full. Very similar to the Montague grandma, rest her soul. So yeah, I'm concerned with my eating habits, but at the same time a little glad that I can eat so so much and enjoy the crap out of it. (Place lame Jones joke here. :))

In other news, Philip is an absolute gem and after we went to get drinks tonight (that could sound a lot like we went to a bar...don't worry, just the Q-Tizzle with our refill cups) he surprised me and we went to Lowe's to look at appliances. Fun huh? And oh so romantic! No no, this is very exciting, because I could spend my life in home improvement stores and love to look at all the different options. He on the other hand is of the mindset of, Why look if you're not going to buy it right then? So he was doing it to be a sweetheart.

And I decided on the range and refrigerator that we are getting later this month, because ever since I painted my cabinets last summer, I have hated my fridge's guts, because it's ugly, and it only has one drawer, and it is ugly. And I'm pretty sure that every time I turn on one of my burners, smoke and burning smell inevitably follow, because I've spilled crap under the burners, and it's ugly too. So I get to get a flat top stove. Hooray for home improvements! Does anyone need a dirty fridge and/or stove/range thing? All you have to do is take it down stairs and it's yours. Good luck.

One of my favorite parts of the night is that we drove in Philip's truck, which reminds me of when we were dating and gets me all sappy and nostalgic...I'm a nerd.

So life is good today for a slew of reasons, but one highlight that I failed to mention is that I used up a pen today, and I have another that is perilously close to being used up as well. I'm a nerd...squared.

16 comments:

Beau said...

No disability, you probably have a tape worm. Look on the bright side you don't have kids so you can name your new little friend and think of it as the baby you won't ever give birth to. Too cute. Might I suggest Strawberry for a name. It's gender neutral but sweet and cuddly. Tape worms can be affectionate if given love and attention. Well, that's what I heard anyway.

MeL said...

Who the heck are you Torn Ligament? I don't mean to sound rude, but I'm quite curious...

The Jones Fam said...

Um... I think you have a blog stalker. No, wait- real stalker! I'd call Mr. Gomez to take care of torn ligament if I were you... he's on the SWAT team you know.

So about your eating. I also lack the "full" mechanism. The only way I know to stop eating is that the people around me stop. This one girl in my clinic group at school asked me how I stayed so skinny and I replied, "Um, I eat a big bowl of ice cream right before bed every night." Hooray for temporarily awesome metabolisms that are going to come to a screeching halt when we hit 37!

And I thought I was the only one that feels like I accomplish something great when I use up a whole pen. And I freak out if I have one that's almost all gone and I lose it. I'm glad I'm not the only completely neurotic Jones out there... oh wait, Jones always equals neurotic.

Jake

angiedunn said...

you know you are a full fledged blog stalker when you not only read the hilarious post o' phillissa & LAUGH hysterically, but also read the comments {in full} and LAUGH hysterically. i don't know who torn ligament is, but i will give he/she props for being utterly comical on this friday morn. i am definitely jealous of your TALENT of eating to no end & being skinny to no end. that is not my talent. but i have a sweet spirit.{wink}

angiedunn said...

sorry...one "l" in philissa. my bad.

The Fletchies said...

this is fabulous! PS what jones gene did you get that allows you to eat anything you want and not gain weight? I think that's got to be a huber trait because all of us at this jones house have chubby thighs. sad face.

angiedunn said...

ya, i've decided that whoever you are, torn ligament, you really need some posts o' your blog...'cause i would stalk it. and, also...mels, forgot to mention, cute freakin' cupboards. i painted the cabinets @ our rental prop {when i lived in it} & that's a big job dude, but totally worth the cuteness!! yours look mighty fine!!

Unknown said...

If you post your ugly appliances on craigslist for free, people will come and take them. I guarantee it. They'll even do all of the hauling and stair climbing. Everyone loves free stuff. Even ugly free stuff.

amanda p. said...

Whatever, I would LOVE your fridge for an extra one in my garage. Let me know if your serious!!

angiedunn said...

don't worry folks, this is my third comment of the day {and i'm proud of it} what can i say? i heart melissa. um mels, just read your comment, and i need to assure you that i didn't mean to have chloe's shirt match the juice, but that is soooo something i'd do...'cause i'm crazy & ocd like that. and, i too, need to get away from my computer...blogging time has gotten WAY out of hand today {WAY over my thirty minute limit}, but i'm procrastinating my scrapbooking duties 'cause writing novel length comments to friends is MUCH more fun! the shame, the shame. anyhoo...i am always uber-pleased when you comment first. {keep 'em comin' yo} and ya, you'll definitely see me at eleven sans mascara, unless i make a trip to tar-jet (it's french) to buy some waterproof kind. peace in the far east!

Kelli said...

Talent for sure. And, angieinpink, it was actually four comments...even though one was just a correction and posted a minute after the first.

Beau said...

Nah....not a stalker, just passing through and saw your comment. Myself, I'm looking forward to this nifty solution for those 'I still feel empty thought I've eaten a cheezbrgr and fries'moments.

http://www.wired.com/medtech/health/
news/2007/06/dietpill

How's Strawberry doing today?

Grace Ryan said...

You crack me up! You are so funny! Looks like you have a stalker. Anyway, I love your new kitchen. It's adorable! You are so cute Melissa. You made me and Ryan's night. Is QT still $.49? I miss those trips. We need to visit you guys soon.

Alisse Baldwin said...

Did anyone else totally cut-and-paste that link from Torn Ligament? I fell for it. Interesting medical talk. My favorite part of the article it references ("Jelly in the Belly"- the top link) is the reader's comments at the bottom. You'll see which ones I'm referring too. Still, weird, that Torn Ligament remains anonymous.

angiedunn said...

so, there really was no need for you to cry upon viewing your sister in laws zinnias, seeming how i cried enough for the state of arizona {and part of utah} @ the memorial service! hello, did you SEE me & my emotional self? i official love sandra {and her amazing girls} + i'm the crier of the century = most OOC cry 2007 {so far} but anyhow...i would LOVE to chill with you & kelli @ aly's. lets invite sara too, 'cause she's fun. i'm free pretty much everyday, every second...i mean, now that it's just rerun season, i have all kinds of time! i have a job, but i'm really good at pretending that i don't. so wheneva's cleava! oh, and ps...i'm glad that kelli & i made the connection too! i was 96.4% sure it was her {'cause she was the only fun person in there}, but i didn't say anything, thinking she would, if it really was her. but then i remembered that i'm half a person larger than i was back in the day, and she may not recognize me. so i decided to say something. that's all. back to real life...goal this week: revert back to my 30min blog limit...no exceptions! love ya!!

Erica said...

Melissa I found your blog through a bunch of links. I thought I should state my presence so I don't continue to lurk anonymously and creepily. Also, if you link over to my blog be prepared to think I am really boring. I laughed out loud when you said you hated your fridge's guts.