Monday, May 26, 2008

CALIFORN-I-A 2008

Our trip to California this year was delightful, though not quite as long as we'd like. And apparently I take lots of pictures at Disneyland but nowhere else...whoops.
Anyhow, here is our trip in pictorial form...
Traditional "California or Bust!" picture on the drive over
Stinkin' Mapquest sent us on a toll road which I thought was kind of fun and adventurous and Philip thought was annoying and frustrating. We paid our first toll with all the change we had. And we paid our second toll with a twenty, and this my friends, is what the 19 dollars in Susan B. Anthony change looks like. We paid for our parking, some water, and a frozen lemonade with it, and laughed every time we gave these away and the Disneyland workers had to figure out what to do with them.
Us on Splash Mountain. For some reason they put us alone on our log. Then as we were off, they said, "You lovers have a good time." Maybe they knew it was our anniversary, or maybe Philip slipped them an Anthony to make it romantic.

Philip firmly believes that they said "LOGGERS" not "lovers", but I maintain my stand with the lovers.

Us on the Jungle Cruise where the guide was not nearly loud enough with his witty commentary, which made me kind of sad because I do enjoy it so.

Us on Peter Pan after waiting in a deceptively long line in the sun and getting VERY shiny because it was like a billion degrees that day.

FYI, Philip LOVES the Peter Pan ride. That sounds kind of sarcastic, but it totally isn't. He really does love it.

Teacups!

Fun every time.

Hooray for Honey I Shrunk the Audience...or a cool place to sit when it's hot in the afternoon.

Me and my Prince Philip in front of the castle...ha ha, I'm lame.

So I know I'll get haters because of this comment, but I've decided that the churros are kind of overrated. Fight me all you want on this, but do yourself a favor and go to Rubio's, because theirs are like a third the size but with three times the amount of cinnamony-sugary goodness. Seriously, they rock.

Guess what is underrated...

the cotton candy. This was my first one of the day.

I'm forever undecided on my favorite ride, but I think it may be Big Thunder Mountain Railroad. Every time we go on it and I scream obnoxiously, I love it more and more.

Us loving Disneyland.

Funny thing, while we were patiently waiting our turn for the picture in front of Mickey, these two people go up for what we thought was a picture, but no, they were not having their picture taken or anything, just hanging out and chatting, as if that is a good place to stop and chat. Us and the Disneyland worker/our photographer laughed, and he said that more people do that than you would reasonably think.

So, after a ridiculously hot day at Disneyland, we were ready to spend Tuesday at the beach. Unfortunately, Tuesday was overcast and freezing, so we resorted to going to the Sugar Shack, which is heaven in the form of breakfast food, and reading books.

While at breakfast, Philip recognized Keri Walsh, who is a gold medal winning beach volleyball player, as she walked in and sat at the table behind him.

Since he played/plays volleyball, he thought this was fantastic, and despite me asking repeatedly if he wanted to get his picture with her, he said no, so we just took creepy pictures with her in the background.

And then we were on our way home again, back to our beloved Arizona. We brought the overcast-ness of California with us, we hope you didn't mind the cooler temperatures this weekend. You're welcome.

And as much as I love vacation, I was glad to be home in my own shower, in my own bed (I am so not a fan of King sized beds), with lots of clean clothes in my dresser, not from a suitcase.

Hooray for home.

19 comments:

Sara! said...

I missed you so much it hurt! I'm glad you're homo.

HooHoo said...

California is for loggers! I think I'm with Philip on this one. Glad you had a fun time.

•stephanie• said...

I'd go with "lovers".

Loggers is, I don't know, just kind of gross.

Thanks for the nice weather, though.

Lindsee said...

Prince Phillip. Wow, you guys are MFEO. I can't believe you had to put that together for me. Of course you would marry Prince Phillip! I love it. And i am insanely jealous of your fun vacation. I think it will be 10 years before I see the shores of the west coast again.

Emily, Julia, and Annie said...

I am speaking for all the Reid Jones family in saying that we may shun you because you said bad things about churros from the Land. No good.

Brent and Brooke said...

What a fun vacation! I was jealous when I saw all of your fun pics. Oh and happy three years! I can't believe Philly didn't get a pic with the volley hottie! I heard I will see you sometime soon, around lunch time...Yea!

kellibattraw said...

I have to live vicariously through you and anyone else who is lucky enough to go to Disneyland, something I haven't had a chance to do for 5 1/2 years!!! Way too long!
I'm glad you guys had fun and I'm glad you're part of our family. : )

Kelli said...

I am jealous. Good choice on the cotton candy. It is one of the best creations on this earth, I do believe.

Kristin said...

Mel...it's so fun to read your blogs. My husband and I just started one as well. Good to see your smilin' face!

Anonymous said...

Tha Lindbloms are crrrazy! GOod 2 see you're both lovin and livin life on up to the fullest still. Isn't it just great?!!

-Your (former)HTer, and I'm sure; 'avenue of life mentor'. Ha Ha j/k

Cassie said...

Awww, I'm so bummed I won't be going to Disneyland for a couple years not that we are moving all the way to the other end of the country. We went to Disneyland for our 3rd, or was it 2nd anniversary. How fun! I can't believe you go on Peter Pan, it's always so long. Boston has been to Disneyland 3 times now and still has never riden it, it's always 40 minutes or longer to wait. Not good for a 3 year old. Anyway, Happy Anniversary you happy loggers. :)

The Fletchies said...

You don't like churros. Shun. Unshun, they are the most amazing thing ever I don't care what you say ya communist. Shun.

The Fletchies said...

Unshun, Okay I double swear I hadn't read emily's comment before I posted mine. I actually read the goodmans thinking it was hers and thought it was uncharacteristically peppy. I love that we both said shun. Shun.

Michelle said...

Looks like you had a fabulous time. Even if it was Disneyland.
My vote is lovers as well. Im sure the person who said it had a great chuckle to himself afterward.
Glad you made it home safely.

Busy Bee Lauren said...

Oh yay!!!! Me and my Ted are going to Disneyland for our honeymoon because it is the best place ever! I loved your trip recap!
I am positive the workers said "lovers" instead of "loggers". I got your back.
Where is this sugar shack you speak of?

Melly Mel said...

Oh it looks like you guys had so much fun! I am impressed! I am a little sad that you didn't call because Jack and I would have come to visit you in a heart beat! That cotton candy looked so yummy!

Kirk and Aly said...

Have you had the hand dipped corndogs from Disneyland? They are equally delicious - like the churros (yes!) and cotton candy and the popcorn was super delicious, too. I think anything from that place is the greatest!

Next time you want a handful of Susan B's and you're not on a toll road, you can get them from the stamp machine at the post office.

•stephanie• said...

love the shun/unshun comments! and i want to thank you for your honesty and integrity re: commenting on my post. {sorry you didn't win.} i tried copying tagg's photos from amber's blog. it was a no go. but you could get yourself invited to her blog real easy. just let me know your email and i'll forward it on to her. she's really nice!

Tatiana said...

Looks like you guys had a fun vacation. I hate Disneyland in the summer because of the seeming never-ending lines, but it is all worth it. I love Keri Walsh she is one of my favs! He should have said at least said "What's up Keri" and the leave. Yay for vacations!