Sunday, May 11, 2008

To the Mothers...

Dear Momma,
Thanks for raising me.
I think you did a fine job...does that surprise you?
Also, thanks for your nose and chin. I really like them. And I'm not going to lie, I'm a little bit prideful about the fact that my sisters both got Dad's chin, and I'm the only one that got yours.
.
And thanks for my wedding dress. You did such a good job on it! Remember how pretty it was? And it seriously fit me like a glove.
.
Thank you for giving birth to me, especially since you did it without an epidural...I'm sorry that I was in a hurry to get here. (I was born 13 minutes after my mom got to the hospital!)
.
Thanks for teaching me the value of good manners. That goes a long way in life, even now that I'm grown up-ish.
.
Thanks for teaching me how to make pies, and pretty ones at that. I think that pretty pies are the only thing I bring to the table with all of my talented sister-in-laws.
.
Thanks for helping me figure out what to do with my Sunbeams for their moms today, they turned out darling.
.
Thanks a million for giving birth to my five best friends too, and will you teach me how to make my kids all be best friends with each other? I would hate for them to miss out on the fun that we all have.
.
Thank you for my Bosch, when I took it to Enrichment once, the ladies in my ward were quite impressed.
.
Oh, and thanks for my sewing machine...sorry it is still at your house.
.
Thanks for putting up with me as a teenager. I was kind of a jerkface. Sorry.
.
Thank you for being the best mom ever. I love you so so much!
.
Love,
Mel

...

Dear Janet,

Thanks for raising Philip.

I think you did an amazing job.

Rumor has it that he was kind of a little hellion, so it is very sweet of you to not remember so much of that.

And even though he is a boy of few expressions (much like his namesake :)), I know that he appreciates you and loves you to death!

Also, thanks for passing along your very kind eyes. That is one of the things that made me fall in love with the boy, his eyes are kind of amazing. I am hoping that at least half of our kids get those eyes as well.

Thank you for teaching him the value of hard work, and not to be lazy.

Thanks for teaching him how to do laundry and clean up too...he's really good at both of them and doesn't think that he is above housework at all.

Thank you for the brains that you also passed on. He's really smart. Yet another thing that I'm hoping our kids get from him.

Thanks for being such a good teacher, all of your kids have benefited greatly from it.

And if you don't mind, would you teach preschool for another 10 years or so? I am afraid that our phantom kids are sorely missing out.

Thank you for the bread recipe, as well as all of the recipes that are Philip's favorites that you've passed down. I hope that someday my kids will think I am as amazing as a cook as your kids think you are.

Thanks for making hot chocolate every winter. It really is the best.

Thanks for letting me steal your only boy. I love him a lot.

Love,

Your favorite daughter-in-law,

Melissa

12 comments:

The Fletchies said...

That was so sweet of you to remember your mother in law. I'm sure she'll appreciate it. Your mom is amazing. She is seriously always looking out for everyone. You are very lucky!

kellibattraw said...

Melissa you are a such a sweetheart. I love reading your blog!

Sean & Julia Johnson.... said...

is it any surprise that that made me cry? I also cried at the primary kids singing I Often Go Walking today because I was imagining one of the little kids being one of my little kids one day... I'm out of control!!!!!

Janet said...

I feel very honored to have a space on your blog!! I look at it at least once a week and have gotten to know you so much bette and what a real nut you are Just to add to the nut Lindblom tree!! Thanks for being such a good wife and friend to Philip. We are very fortunate to have you in the family.
Luv
Mum

Bekah Parker said...

What a cute post! I loved reading it.

kellibattraw said...

O.k., so I said it was sweet earlier today, but now that I've read the longer version, I'm really touched, in behalf of your mom and mine. : )

HooHoo said...

Thank you Melissa for your thoughtfulness here. I love you and cherish the memories.

In our family, I think the recipe for kids being best friends is to give birth to all of them in a ten year span (at the maximum) so that they all go through the same stage at the same time. Read to them and have them read to you. Then make sure that toys are limited to blocks, bikes and trampolines. Work them hard and only give them hand-me-downs. It works!

I love the moms of my in-law kids. They did a great job too even though their recipe was different. Aren't Janet's eyes the very kindest anywhere?

Every day is Mother's Day when you have kids as good as mine. I love you.

Jo Dee said...

Oh my gosh. I am not even pregnant and I am bawling my eyes out over that one. It was beautiful. By the way pie making is definitely not your only talent you bring to our family. You have many more.

Ryan Nelson Family said...

I have to say I'm with Julie on this one. All I can say is tears and a lot of them. Love love love it!!! I know we are all so glad you are part of our family!

Sarah said...

That was so sweet, I'm such a sap and tears are in my eyes, I hope my kids love me that much.

angiedunn said...

that was sweet, mel. and of course you put it in the cutest way/format. good job.

Michelle said...

Im going to blame my tears on the fumes coming off the coloring product on my hair right now...
You know, we all worried just a little bit about the person Philip would marry. I am so glad he listened to the promptings of the spirit that led him to you.
He could not have chosen a more beautiful, loving, funny, warm, and caring woman than you, Melissa. Thank you for completing him. We are blessed to have you as a member of our family.