Saturday, January 26, 2008

Melissa's 2008 Resolutions

I understand that it is January 26th, but it's still January right?
Here are some of my goals for this year,
along with lots of extra commentary...per usual.
.
# one.
Be punctual. Not just more punctual, but downright punctual.
I suppose that means using my watches for more than just accessorizing.
Here at the Lindblom house, watches are kind of our guilty pleasure.
.
# two.
Walk my shoes into the closet every day.
I have a tendency to take them off in the living room as soon as I walk in the door. At one point Philip counted five different pairs of shoes, plus slippers in the living room. Whoops.
.
# three.
Put on lotion every day. Especially when I start school and will have to wash my hands every five seconds, and they will inevitably look like this:
.
# four.
Make and follow a budget
&
be more frugal and look for opportunities to save.
I kind of thought those went hand in hand.
.
# five.
Use groceries before they go bad.
Usually this is what our fridge looks like after we go shopping, and then two weeks later, it looks about the same, but smells kind of funny, and then we throw lots of stuff away. I don't think that is very frugal of me...and remember goal four?
.
# six.
Learn to play the piano again.
.
# seven.
Read more books.
I've started the year off right because
I recently read this: which was amazing.
I am currently finishing this: which is totally inspiring.
And I'm about to start this: which my sisters have said will make me cry...which means I will love it.
.
# eight.
Take Philip on a date that I plan once or twice or more.

Maybe then he won't have to date Guitar Hero, which by the way, he is getting so good at. I will challenge people for him...

.

# nine.
Take lots of pictures of everything.
Including me and Alisse's lunch today for her birthday, but because she is the most generous person in the world, she had a present for me too... Poor Alisse, totally got the crappy end of the friendship. Let it be known though that she asked for socks, and the ones on the left have chihuahuas on them acting as cupid...can you find better socks than that?
.
# ten.
Do cute things for and with my cute Sunbeams.
This is my class this year.
Words can't describe how much I love my calling right now. A couple weeks ago as me and my three girls (who were all folding their arms so reverently) walked into the primary room, the secretary said, "This is like the ultimate Melissa class." And it is. I am so excited for this whole year!
.
# eleven.
Eat healthier snacks.
Por ejemplo, just one 100 calorie pack, not four.
But have you had the tiny Cheetos? They are so irresistible.
.
# twelve.
"I really want to lose three pounds."
Maybe I'm kind of serious, because I would like to shop at 1.3.5 instead of Sears.

.

# thirteen.
Drink more water, and maybe not as much Diet Pepsi.
Do you see how I threw the maybe in there? No pressure, just a friendly suggestion.
But seeing as how this is our current stash of the liquid magic, in addition to what's in the fridge, I don't see it happening.
.
# fourteen.
Work out once a week.
Don't laugh people, we're talking baby steps here, and I'm trying to be realistic. Perhaps 2009 will be twice a week.

.

# fifteen.
Learn to cook healthy meals.Perhaps this shouldn't be breakfast anymore.

.

I figure the more goals the better, because even if half of them don't work out...I still accomplished like 7 things! Happy New Year by the way, and do you want to hear something crazy? I start school in 9 days! Ahhh! (nervous scream)

14 comments:

•stephanie• said...

picture my hands balancing against each other, you know, kinda like a scale ~~ and me saying: {as my hands alternate going up and down} "amazing cupid chihuahua socks . . . darling apothecary jar . . . amazing cupid chihuahua socks . . . darling apothecary jar". i'm telling you ~~ straight up ~~ chihuahua socks win every time ~~ hands down. happy alisse's birthday to all. oh, and best wishes on your 2008 goals.

HooHoo said...

These are very worthy goals! Where on earth did you find the picture that goes with #14? I think I know that lady. Seriously.

Also, do you think that somewhere between your nervous little scream and 9 days we could see your last rendition of Jones Family Week. We know Kev is your favorite and the hardest for you to whittle down the pictures on, but rumor has it that you will have 0 time after that for any blogging at all.

Best wishes in 9 days and with all your fabulous goals.

Guthrie's said...

Good Goals! I have a little suggestion for one of your goals (What are aunts for anyway? Suggesting things of course!) If you want your hands to be nice and smooth use Neutrogena (Norwegian Formula) Hand Cream. Make sure you get fragance free or you will smell like an old lady. If you use this, Alligators will not even think about entering your house.

angiedunn said...

Okay, first of all: I love stephanie's comment...it's hilarious.

second of all: i love your goals & i love that they are like challenging, yet realistic/attainable. i, on the other hand, set goals like: k, i'm gonna do pilates in the morning for 2 hours, eat breadcrumbs all day, and run a marathon at night.

and then i just end up watching the biggest loser over a rio sweet pork salad instead. {it has lettuce right?}

good luck with your fabulous goals...go get 'em tiger.

oh! and the kite runner is next on my list. have you read the secret life of bees? i hear it's good.

Marie said...

I love that watches are your guilty pleasure, because they are mine too! All though, I haven't indulged since I've been married. Probably because Alan (Who is so not a watch wearer) would wonder why I need more than 5 Fossil watches. (All from ebay by the way.)Actually, that's not true. I did buy another "athletic" watch at Target that I wear to the gym/swimming. But that doesn't count...

Alisse Baldwin said...

This post was hilarious, which is another reason I'm jealous of you: you can make serious life-goals into a motivating AND hilarious post. And stop! You know I l-o-v-e the socks. And I'm the worse-er friend because you're now STARTING hygiene school, and you're now 23 and 2 MONTHS.

marry said...

Melissa... I love your blog... it is so entertaining... these are great goals... and the pictures are awesome... I see you are reading a book on finances... I found this awesome book... google... Jeff Yeager and you will get his website... he is pretty funny.

Kirk and Aly said...

Goals - schmoles! I purposely didn't set any goals this year so I wouldn't set up any expectations that I will soon break. Good for you though! You are amazing so you will probably totally rock all of your resolutions! Go you!

Maren said...

Okay- Those are pretty much all my goals (except the lose 3 pounds- instead I'll gain 3 pounds)so now I don't have to post my New Year's resolutions! Yeah!

The Fletchies said...

wait angie...rio salads don't count as healthy? aww crap my diet's screwed from the start cause I totally counted that as healthy day five of south beach last week...anyways...you are so brave to post your goals because as soon as i say them out loud to more then me and devin I can't keep to them anymore. and maybe I won't say them out loud because I am afraid of the harsh judgement i'll receive for already failing at them aprox 20 days ago. oopsies! oh well I'm still trying. at least I didn't give up right after I broke them.

but ya congrats on so many goals and on starting school soon! that is so very exciting!

Kelli said...

Goals are overrated.

kellibattraw said...

Melissa, you're so popular that you always have several dozen comments. I often wonder if I should even bother or if I'll get lost amongst them. : ) I love your goals and know you can achieve all of them! Good luck to you!

The Jones Fam said...

Miss,
you are funny! Good job setting goals! Good luck with school too!!!
Nat

Juli said...

okay I just love you....you are so funny with all of the pictures. My girl is lucky to have you for a teacher by the way.....she seriously has adored you from day one when you were her nursery leader. Anyways email me at juliannewestwood@gmail.com and I will send you an invite to our blog.