Monday, September 27, 2010

DC Day One

Remember when we went to Washington DC like 7 months ago? Yes yes, I am finally going to be finishing this trip, so that I can continue this here blog past July15th. Sooo, without further adieu,
DC DAY ONE!!!
Philip and Michelle on the subway, with our enormous group behind us. Seriously, we took up an entire car.
Wendi and Garrison Can we just admire the architecture of everything first?! Holy Library of Congress! And of course, the first of four thousand pictures of us in front of really cool things. Us and the Supreme Court building, and yes, I regretted the ponytail after the first picture.
Inside the Supreme Court building, with a super cool picture...?
And Philip and I decided that we will indeed have a fire place like this someday, but with a painting of us with a tiger above the fireplace.
This spiral staircase was so amazing,
which is apparent by Jolie and Jennifer's faces.
And me being nerdy and LOVING the incredible architecture and detail on the ceilings.
And the fact that everything was marble was super impressive and made everything feel so rich, and really echo-ey.
FYI, Nancie loves Lincoln, so naturally we took pictures of them together every chance we got.
Uh-maz-ing in the Library of Congress.
Have you seen or do you have cuter nephews? The answer is no.
And cute siblings in front of the Capitol Building
Once again regretting the ponytail.
Did anyone read The Lost Symbol? This is the ceiling that they were talking about, and trust me, it is even more amazing than can be described.
Jocelyn, Janet, Nancie and Jennifer outside the Old Post Office building, enjoying the greatness that is tree-lined streets.
Us in the tower of the Old Post Office:
I kind of loved the view and took way too many pictures...
And the only view of the White House that we got, which we were pretty much okay with.
The National Archives Building, the pillars are fantastic.
And close up!
Nancie, Des and Garrison, with Griffin in the background:
We also went to Ford's Theater, where we had the world's most boring tour guide. Seriously, I got a more informative and entertaining version from Nancie, who like I said earlier, is pretty much the world's biggest Lincoln fan.
World War II Memorial
Nancie, Philip and Garrison taking a break after walking the first 12 out of 18 miles we walked that day. And P.S. it was like 97 degrees with 95% humidity. We wanted to die.
Washington Monument!
Lincoln Memorial...it was a lot lot bigger than I thought it would be.
Korean War Memorial, which was so so cool and ridiculously moving.
Des humored me (ish) and took the picture with Arizona that Philip wouldn't. :)
Viet Nam Memorial
Sweaty! And the ponytail. :(
And the whole group of us! This was at the end of our day of seeing everything, and then we realized and were so sad that we had to walk ALL THE WAY BACK down the mall. Longest walk ever.
And we went back to the hotel, gave foot rubs, and slept for 14 hours straight. It was such a fun day, and we saw such cool things, but seriously, I can't remember a time that I was more exhausted. The humidity was not my favorite. Anyhoo, stay tuned for the next two days!

5 comments:

kellibattraw said...

I've been patiently waiting, and it was worth it. : ) I'm bummed that we missed all the fun, but not all the walking... can you imagine having two toddlers along for the ride?

Kristin said...

JEALOUS!!!

Macey said...

Wow! You have me all excited to move there...in 2 years. Looks like fun!

Catherine said...

wow you really live the life! I love your blog because I get the overall feel of the post without having to read any words. Best ever...there needs to be more blogs out there like yours. :)

Nielson Family said...

Okay, so I'm super jealous! You guys are always doing the funnest things... ahh, someday :) Love your amazing pictures - beautiful!