Guess who booked flights to New York City...WE DID! I seriously am so so so excited about this trip! I'm pretty sure it will be the greatest ever!
I'm super excited to see the sights and hang out with this lady...
And this guy...
Nothing says New York like Lady Liberty and Naked Cowboy right?
Funny story real quick, when Sara and Jason went a few years ago, Jason wanted a picture with the above gentleman, and when he went to stand by him, the gentleman said, "So where are you fags from?" Jason promptly answered, "Arizona." .
Apparently Jason was cool with being called a fag.
.
So anyways, here's the thing, since we've never been to New York, and we're a little bit clueless about what is there besides the Statue of Liberty and H&M. Basically all of our info comes from movies like Home Alone 2 and such, so obviously we need your help.
.
If you have been to New York, please give me a quick rundown of your trip, or if nothing else, what is a MUST DO, and what is a Meh, take it or leave it.
.
Also, I have not yet booked our hotel, so what's your take on what part of town is good?
.
Seriously, I would like all the advice I can get, so all of you that have been to the big city, let's see what you've got!
.
Thanks in advance for all of your tips!
20 comments:
Ohhh fun! When are you going to NYC? I'm going to be there June 20th. Maybe we'll see the same naked cowboy!!!
1) That is an awesome story. 2) I should just refer you to Stacie, the NYC expert. If you haven't already talked to her, put that at the top of your planning priority list. She is seriously an invaluable resource. When we went, we all just pretty much followed Stacie around like mindless fools. I never tried to figure anything out for myself, I just let Stace take charge with her awesome 3-D map and lead us wherever she pleased. I will email you some of my personal favorites/highlights of our trip.
So jealous! I loved New York. I dont know how you guys feel about broadway...but I saw Lion King on Broadway and it was awesome. Not to mention FAO Shwarts (i think thats how you spell it). Its the HUGE toy store with the giant piano! haha. As far as hotels, I dont know the city that well, but we stayed right next to Grand Central Station at The Grant Hyatt. It was right in the middle of everything. Have fun and enjoy your trip, I wish I would have taken Kameron there before we had screaming children.
Ground Zero is a must too! It will make you feel so small and insegnificant to imagine what went down there....very humbling!
I am with Kelli...Ask Stacie. She planned our entire trip and was our navigator the whole time. Have so much fun! I loved New York and trust me...you will too!
Holy cow. This is crazy because yesterday I spent all afternoon working on plans for our NYC trip in two weeks! Mike has never been so we want to go before our lives fall apart (aka have babies).
My cousin Colette and her family are NYC experts, so I emailed her. I'll forward you her response. When are you guys going?
I've never been to New York, but my sister in law has. She love some Ninja restaurant that's fully equipt with ninjas and everything. You should look into it. It's quite the experience.
Hi guys,
I went Thanksgiving 2003. Times Square is a must (at night of course). Stayed with a high school friend so can't recommend hotels, etc. Bergdorf Goodman has AWEsome window displays. Ground Zero was a meh! when I was there but the surrounding neighborhood was neat. Metropolitan Museum was pretty cool. Ferry wasn't running (too foggy) to Statue of Liberty. Wall Street truly is a stone canyon--must look up and up. Have fun! Give the naked cowboy a pinch for me. Love, aunt dona
Mel! Ok, I've been to NYC twice, therefore I am an expert. Things I love about the Big Apple:
1. Grimaldi's pizza under the Brooklyn Bride. DELISH!
2. Centeral Park. It's the perfect place to read! Bring a blankey and enjoy it's beauty.
3. Time Square is awesome and a must.
4. If you have time, definitely see a show.
5. Soho-worlds best shopping.
6. China town. World's best fake goods.
7. Too bad Conan is now in LA. I'm sure Philip loves him.
8. I know this is cliche but Serendipity...they really do have the best frozen hot chocolate.
ugh, there is so much more I am forgetting. I will text you everytime I think of something.
When are your going to NYC!? Ted and I are going to book flights too...so I need this post for my benefit as well! I am so excited for you!
Yes, I got your email, and I will email you back soon! :)
xoxox
I've been to...mmm...Cheyenne. Do you want some killer places to visit here? No? Okay...have fun anyways!
Sounds like fun! Ben and I went last summer-and I was prego and still had a blast. We stayed in Queens with Ben's Aunt, so I'm no help there. I would recomend ALL of Manhattan (go to both a show AND a TV show like Martha Stewart, Today Show, the View...), get yourself some NY sunglasses for $5, and enjoy Central Park and the museums around those parts! Bring lots of chunk change!
What? How did we NOT bond about HIMYM when we were together for 3 hours? What is your favorite episode? Mine is when they find out that Robin was a Canadian pop star and they start the slap bet. Or the one where they call Barney "Swarley" the whole episode. I LOVE it!
Jason wanted it clarified that he was called a homo, not a fag.
You can borrow my laminated maps (two of the same because sharing a map when you're the one with the good sense of direction is the most annoying thing in the world) and I will print off my list of must sees and must shops.
And, start liking hotdogs.
Lastly, I agree with Aunt Dona, ground zero's not worth the time - don't hate me America!
NYC is BOMB!!! Sooo jealous! P.S. love the story about your bro-inlaw being a fag! A must is the empire state building...we went at night...day or night would be rad though. Plus you have to stand in line for a while so don't wear wedges like I did...idiot! You definately have to see a show...whether Broadway or off Broadway. I had to see an off Broadway because it was during the writer's strike...but still good. FAO Schwartz kicks butt. The piano show is pretty rad. You have to buy a ripped off purse from the dirty venders on the street. You can't go to NYC and not come home without a ripped off coach bag...duh! Macys is cool.
5th ave. duh! Ground zero-aka-twin towers...gay. Don't waste your time. Gotta hit Wall street and take a pic by the buffalo. Central Park is beautiful. Virgin records was huge...oh and see if the Charmin toilet paper place is still up and running. People seriously go out in the street yelling for people to come use their bathrooms. There's like 20 stalls and you get to test all their toilet paper...it's hilarious. They have cheerleaders and a stage for kareoke about toilet paper. That's a must! Have so much fun you two!
How exciting, what an awesome present to yourself!
So. I used to live near NYC growing up so hopefully my suggestions are pretty good.
A.) See a broadway musical, it will be awesome (for you maybe not for your Felipe). Chicago rocked my socks. Rent made me feel uncomfortable even though the songs are fan-tabulous. BUT if you're brother-in-law is comfortable with homos then maybe you guys will be too (??).
B.) FAO-schwartz, know you guys don't have kids but... Oh wait was that already on your list from Home Alone 2?
C.) Take a carriage ride around Central Park
D.) Statue of Liberty is neat-o but don't expect to be able go to the top
E.) Buy more than one of those "I <3 NY" shirts, they are everywhere and really cheap.... cheap having a double meaning, they don't last very long.
I have no tips for you because I have not yet been, someday, but I am so jealous. I am pretty sure it is my favorite place in the world, even though I have never seen it. I just think it is cool. So fun for you guys!
mmm...new york...so fun.
i went w/ the dixon fam my senior year & it was delightful.
call me a nerd, but i LOVED the united nations. it =ed fascinating.
have the best time philissa!!! happy graduation to you guys!
Well, if you want lots of hotel info for NY my hubby has tons. That's what he did at his old job, book hotels for NY trips, among other things of course. Also if your looking for your own personal tour guide, I'd be happy to oblidge. I'm just a hop, skip and a jump away from there. Email me if you want info rossaz1@hotmail.com
Is that a choice you have for graduation? Going to NYC or getting a new bust? I'm not sure would have opted for NY. :)
Have a great time! And let's plan a girls trip there - maybe for mom's 60th birthday?
We went a few years ago, in March and it was FREEZING! So good you're going in summer.
You MUST go to the restaurant Seredipity3 and get a frrrozen hot chocolate. Kinda pricy, but they're the best. And recommended by Oprah. Check out their website. serendipity3.com
We stayed at the Hotel Pennsylvania, a huge hotel(but with tiny rooms) right across from Madison Square Garden. It was the cheepest nice hotel I could find. It's in a great location, walking distance from Times Square, few blocks away from Empire State Building (must go to the top of that) right by Macy's, 5th Ave, etc. hotelpenn.com
Have fun!
Post a Comment