Thursday, April 24, 2008

Not tagged, just totally bored.

Since my life has been anything but exciting lately, my poor poor blog has suffered. Therefore, in an attempt to make this thing a bit more enjoyable, I am going to talk about yours truly:

Enjoy.

10 years ago:

Ten years ago would put me finishing up 7th grade. I pretty much thought I was heaven's gift to Mesa Junior, and that Old Navy overalls, short shorts and Docs were the most flattering things in the world. The best thing that happened to me that year was meeting two of my best friends, Justin Miller and Lethe Harnish, and hanging out with Sara and Kevin a lot.

5 things on my to-do list today:

1. Watch good TV tonight

2. Um... I'm really not that ambitious...brush my teeth

3. Put in my new set of Invisalign trays

4. Er, get the mail I suppose

5. BUT, tomorrow I'm getting my hair cut and plan on asking Bethany how not to look like Bret Michaels from Rock of Love. Seriously, put a bandanna on me and we have the same hair...very sad for me.

I enjoy:

Not thinking about school, hanging out with Philip, Newport Beach, long vacations, short vacations, any vacations, my family quite a bit, paying bills, driving, doing the math to figure out that when I graduate, if I work X amount of hours a week, making X amount of dollars, how much I will make a week, a month, a year, etc.

5 Snacks I enjoy:

1. Little Debbie fudge brownies

2. Keebler Fudge Shoppe Graham Deluxes - I was recently introduced and am currently having a love affair with them

3. Cinnamon toast

4. Wetzel's Pretzel Bitz from the mall - absolutely delightful.

5. 44 oz. of fountain Diet Pepsi

What would I do if I were suddenly made a billionaire:
I think that a billionaire is too unrealistic. Let's go with millionaire, somewhere around the 80 million mark. Buy the house that we will live in for the rest of our lives...namely the Shumway's house right across the street from my Jones cousins, buy houses for our family, write a fatty check to Rancho Del Mar Park Ward, since we would technically still be in this ward until the Shumways moved out :), buy a house in Newport, give to charities that help kids with cancer, finish school still but then instead of working, fund and be part of volunteer groups that go to 3rd world countries and do dental work and fix cleft lip and palate. And perhaps buy Pottery Barn and Nordstrom and Target and Costco...but I suppose I'd need to be a billionaire for that.
5 Places I have lived:

1. Mesa in the house on Vine Ave.

2. Mesa in the house on Flossmoor Cir.

3. Mesa in my current casa.

Maybe someday I'll make it to five.

5 jobs I've had:

This question, like the one above, was meant for someone far more adventurous than me...

1. worked for Melvin starting in junior high

2. worked for the Reidster at Jones' Cleaners my senior year

3. worked for Melvin again after I graduated doing front desk

4. worked for Dr. Heap, but only because he bought Melvin's practice, and I was referred to as a slave that got sold with the plantation

5. I am now a slave to Rio Salado School of Dental Hygiene, but I don't get paid. I, in fact, pay them. Waah.

5 (+1) things people don't know about me:

1. I have had two (three if you count wisdom teeth) surgeries in the past five years, and I was never nervous about them. In fact, I absolutely love going under, and consider it the best sleep ever. When people used to be scared at the dental office about being put out for wisdom teeth, I would always tell them that it would be the best sleep they ever got.

2. I get really stressed out when I'm riding with someone and they don't get in the appropriate lane when I think they should. Por ejemplo, when carpooling home from school, if we need to get off the freeway at Country Club and at Alma School the driver is still trying to get past people in the carpool lane...I freak out.

3. I really like to be people's favorite, and even though I am 23 years old, love to impress and make my teachers love me, and want to be their favorites.

4. There are a lot of things about myself physically, that I'm not in love with, namely my hips and booty. One thing that I do love though, my eyelashes. Oh, and I like that my eyes are green. I used to not, since almost everyone else in my family has the prettiest blue eyes ever, but now I like it.

5. I have a fairly good sense of direction (like a man, as Sara has said) and kind of pride myself on it. The crappy thing though is that I get really upset with myself if I can't figure out where things are or get turned around, as if I'm letting my smart, direction-savvy self down.

6. I don't know how to use "effect" and "affect" correctly. This is yet another thing that gets me upset because it makes me absolutely crazy when people use the wrong spelling of a word...examples, heels and heals, to and too, then and than, etc. And yet here I am totally not knowing when to use which effect or affect. It seriously bothers me and is the bane of my writing existence. I also don't know how to properly use "who" and "whom" and it totally bugs.

5 bad habits:

1. I compare myself to others like crazy, and then secretly compete with them in my head.

2. I procrastinate.

3. I grind my teeth.

4. I give unsolicited advice to those closest to me...sorry Kevin and Nicole.

5. I don't floss as often as I should, especially for the career path I chose.

That's it friends! Tag yourself if you want, or if your life is more exciting than mine, whatevs.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love those! I always enjoy reading about other people and their funny/quirky/interesting habits and facts! Probably because I am so boring so I like to hear about other people that are actually interesting! You have nothing to worry about your body, I would DIE for your body- especially hips and booty! And I grind my teeth too- I hate it because it has messed up my jaw and I always have headaches from it now! Oh well! Thanks for the fun info!

The Little's said...

A very fun and interesting read. I can't believe you don't floss more. Also, the competing thing...me too.

Sara! said...

I like you the best.... for sure of all the Melissa's I know, and absolutely of all the dental hygienist's I know (that's narrowing it down a lot) and of course of all of my little sisters. Like mom says, you're all my favorites. Hmmmm.... I think I'm in love, will you marry me/Jason?
Thanks.

Deanna said...

I hate it too when people use bad grammar/spelling. Drives me up the wall. One you didn't mention is the famous there/their/they're trio which are very different words. It's not hard people! But effect and affect is easy. Effect is only used for case and effect. Affect is just when something is being affected. Sorry for this grammar lesson. Thought I shoudl give a shout out on my once a week perusal of your blog. (You may have noticed I don't want people to think I am constantly staring at their blogs dying for an update, hence the side note) :)

Deanna said...

Oh... and feel free to laugh about the fact that while ranting about grammar I happened to spell a couple things wrong.

Emily, Julia, and Annie said...

Yes it would be amazing to own a bookstore with you. I will think of a clever name for it. As for book suggestions, the one I wrote about on my blog isn't exactly....rated PG. But if you are okay with that, then I can highly suggest this series. Not like it is heaving bosoms sex, more like some f-words thrown around..

Busy Bee Lauren said...

Oh my gosh, I can't use affect or effect correctly either...like at all. It is sad really.

HooHoo said...

You ARE still heaven's gift! I think your eyelashes are an amazing gift from heaven as well. I personally (and I'm not bias in any way)think you have many gifts, so stop grinding your teeth and comparing yourself. You are MY favorite. Am I your favorite mom?

I forgot about cinnamon toast. Yum!

Danny said...

I usually don't post but here goes.
Affect is a verb. "That loud noise negatively affects my sleep."
Effect is a noun. "The movie had sweet special effects."
Who refers to the object (in this case a person). "Who do you know?" You is the subject, knowing is the verb, who receives the action of the verb and is therefore the object.
Whom is an indirect object. "To whom do the ball belong?" The ball is the object because it receives the action of belonging, belonging to a person is an inderct action.
Sorry, words and writing are kind of my thing. It's not everyday you can apply a journalism degree to help your friends.