Monday, September 15, 2008

Family Week! Chapter: Chris & Beth

The Jones Family
Featuring my oldest brother and his cute wife:
Chris & Beth Jones

Meet my brother Chris. He lives in Salt Lake City, Utah with Bethy, his amazing wife, and their brand new baby Sophia. Chris and Beth have been married since October of 2002. They are one of my favorite couples in the entire world simply because they are so themselves and completely complement each other. And just in case you were wondering, their wedding was amazing, just looking at the flowers and you can tell it was so elegant yet original. Very much like Beth herself.

This is their brand spankin' new Sophia Ione Blue Jones. I think that fatherhood suits Chris well. This may be about the cutest picture in the whole world.

Except maybe this one...both of them are precious. Anyhoo, that's a lot of name for a tiny girl, wouldn't you say? Well perhaps, but Chris is very thoughtful and gave his daughter his grandma's name since they were always close.

Since Chris was the oldest grandson, he had a really special bond with our grandparents, and will always be way more of their favorites than any of us could even dream of. They even went to the mall in Utah to visit him at work soon after he moved away. They were probably the oldest people to ever walk into his store. How surprised would you be seeing this in person? They seem like an unlikely trio, wouldn't you say?

Something super awesome about Chris is that since he's worked in retail for quite some time, he has a fabulous sense of style. He seems to be a couple of years ahead of the trends, and has always picked out the best clothes for us all. The same goes for Beth, she claims that she doesn't know how to dress herself since she went to private school growing up and had to wear uniforms, but don't let that fool you, she could put together a very adorable yet classy and fashion forward outfit with little to no effort. They are the people that can shop at a thrift store or Nordstrom, and you wouldn't be able to tell a difference. It is truly incredible.
This past May, Chris graduated from University of Utah School of Law! In July he took the bar exam and is awaiting his results, which I'm positive will be phenomenal, because he takes after my dad and is for reals a genius. In fact, in the graduation program, he had more honorable mentions for amazing work that he had done than any other student in his class. He is quite the overachiever, but you would never know it because he is incredibly humble about it. And if you bring it up, which I like to do, he gets all uncomfortable and plays it off as if it's nothing. It is something Chris, it's amazing.
We also need to congratulate Beth for her hard work while Chris was in school. Beth is an English major, (don't judge me on this by the way) and has worked at the U of U to help put Chris through school, even though it was not her job of choice. She used to work for the Salt Lake City Opera (or orchestra, I can't remember which) and at one time wrote a speech for the Mayor to read at an event. Awesome huh? Yeah, she's a total smarty too, so their kids are going to be freakishly brilliant. Something about Chris that we all love to hate is him opening presents. Growing up at our house we all had to take turns opening presents like on Christmas morning. So whenever it was Chris's turn, he would take as long as he possibly could to open his, so as to keep us all waiting impatiently, and then when someone would explode at him, he'd look up with such a pleased look on his face, then continue to take his sweet time. But wait, that still happens, even if he's the only one opening presents. Apprently it's still a fun game. Another fun fact about Chris is that he LOVES flowers. He loves gardening and making things grow, and having a pretty garden to show off. At every house that he has lived at, there has always been a thriving garden that is a result of his green thumb. And at their wedding, the favors that guests left with was a small box with two bulbs in it, how cute is that? I really REALLY like the fact that Beth totally puts up with Chris and his constant nonsense. Even though he is one of the nicest people on the planet, Chris is kind of a compulsive liar. Not in a bad way necessarily, but he just always makes up a story about something to make it more entertaining and is kind of just full of crap a lot of times, but he says it in a way that makes it sound very believable. Then you're just left confused, because it's Chris, and who knows if his story is true? Chris moved to Utah when I was seven, so we never had much growing up/bonding time when we were younger. He has made up for it ten-fold though, because whenever he comes to visit, he will stay up as late as you'd like and talk to you for hours, even if he hasn't slept for the 48 hours before that. He is the type of person that makes sure you know he cares. He is also the big brother that wants the best for you and won't let you settle for less. Also, if you ever go to Utah, he will drop everything possible to spend time with you, and take you to really cool places to take pictures. Who knew that there was more to Utah than Temple Square? We do, because Chris and Beth show us. Like I said, Chris moved out like forever ago, but that has never stopped him from being incredibly supportive and coming down for major events, such as graduations, baby blessings, birthday parties, weddings, funerals, Christmas, and all sorts of other fun things. And of course, Bethy is super sweet for letting him do so, and coming with him lots of times. We are so glad she comes, even if she does show all of us up with her flawless style. I absolutely love this picture for several reasons, first being that it is AFTER he spent an hour opening his present. Secondly, that Beth got them personalized mugs. Thirdly, that his mug has a picture of their dogs on it. And fourthly, that Chris really likes their two dogs, Todd and Willa, but doesn't like to admit to us just how much because he's afraid we'll think he's become a weird pet person. And he totally has become one, but it really wasn't that big of a secret in the first place. So that's pretty much it for Chris and Beth. They are the funnest and funniest couple ever, and I have never met two people who are more perfect for each other than these two are. I am so excited for them to come at Christmas time and finally get to meet their oh so perfect little Sophie! I love you kids to death!

6 comments:

Kirk and Aly said...

Way to hit the nail on the head, Miss! Chris was always the greatest big brother, sticking up for me and telling people I wasn't a crybaby, even when I was. And Beth is the perfect match for him. How in the world did you find such great pictures? I especially love the one of me being a fat boy at your graduation.

Alisse Baldwin said...

Remember how I've always referred to Chris as Your hot brother? I especially think so in the very top picture!

I love the picture at your graduation- that's how I remember your family when I think about them because that was when we would tell stories about Rissa and Noelle/Riggs and Jax the most.

I love this idea for a blog. You're such a nice sister!

angiedunn said...

Tender! I second that, what a nice sister/daughter/aunt you are! So thoughtful w/ the perfectly descriptive-Melissa touch!

I've met C&B like barely, just a few-ish times, but it's perfectly obvious after five seconds of knowing them that they are both just genuinely kind people. And it's perfectly obvious, after looking @ these pics, that they have a genuinely adorable child. Congrats kids!

MeL said...

Aly, lol to the fat boy comment, maybe a little too lol. Oh, and be excited for your debut on the blog tonight! I narrowed down the big bangs pictures to just two, or perhaps three. And they are cherry.

Sara! said...

Who says cherry? Anyhow, once again a fantastic post. One thing not mentioned is when he went un-vegetarian by "accident." Oh, and his claim that he smells like roses. I guess those aren't things you usually say in loving posts.

HooHoo said...

This was pure entertainment! Thank you Mel Mels. I do love the bulbs picture because unless you enlarge it you think Chris has even more amazing hair than he really has. I truly love the picture of you and Chris when you were 7 or 8, both sooooooooo cute. Grandma Jones used to have a hard time accepting that it was okay to say your kid was so cute and smart because they didn't do it back in her day. Then I came along and pointed out every cute and smart thing Chris did. She became a believer and yes I do think he was her favorite. I sure love the CBSTW Jones family!