Friday, October 1, 2010

DC Day Three

On our third day in DC, we went to Mount Vernon, which is George Washington's house, and it was so pretty. All of the pictures that I have of it look like a post card or like it is a prop in the background...see?!
The cutie Ayala girls nieces: Nancie and Philip joining the Washington family:
Family!
This is the view from George's back porch, where I could have spent all day.
And the back porch itself:
Post card!
The Washingtons' tomb? Or something?
Then we went into the museum, and they had a GIANT head of Washington, and it was like the Haunted Mansion where it would follow you depending on where you moved. Awesome!
Double awesome!
Then in the afternoon, Philip and I went back into DC so that I could see the US Botanical Gardens, in which I also took too many pictures.
But look! They had orchids! A whole room of them!
And even though Philip seemed bored like 98% of the time, and was definitely taking one for the team, he found it to be interesting as well.
More orchids
Don't know and don't care, it is pretty.
And the bloomed version:
Amaryllis Lillies!
Have you ever seen a Calla Lily this color? I was in awe.
I'm glad you're not tired of orchids. :)
If this plant were an animate object (that's a thing, right?) in a cartoon or Pixar type movie, I would imagine it would be the antagonist in the story.
A bumble bee! I'm not going to lie, I was and still am a little thrilled with this picture.
More lillies!
We then crossed the street to see the amazing Bartholdi Fountain only to find that it was completely under construction, with the 30 foot statue missing and no water whatsoever. Sad day for us.
So we settled for another sweaty picture, which happened to be our last picture in DC.
The next day we only had a half a day, but we spent the morning in the Holocaust Museum which was incredible and eye-opening. And lucky for us, we had Nancie as our personal tour guide. Overall, it was such a great trip, and I think that everyone needs to see it at least once, or four times. I am so glad that we had the chance to go, and it was an even greater time to go with Philip's family.
And huzzah! We're done with this trip! Yay for the East Coast! See you again soon!

1 comment:

Guthrie's said...

Thanks for your step by step tour! I loved your pictures! The flowers are so beautiful and everything so green. I loved it! You brought back some memories of my trip to DC long ago, but I didn't think of taking such terrific pictures as you did. Hope every day is a fun trip for you.