Strawberries were 3 lbs for a dollar last week at Superstition Ranch Market. In case you don't know, that is a freaking smoking deal.
I might have bought 48 lbs.
Okay, so remember how I'm kind of weirdly prideful about kinda dumb things like having a good sense of direction and not being afraid of shots and needles? Add canning to that list. As I was buying my flats of strawberries on Saturday, an old guy asked what I was doing with all of them and then was impressed when I told him I was making jam. In case you were wondering, I also made ridiculous amounts of apple pie filling in November as well. Yes yes, just call me Martha.
I even got a battle wound (see that awful blister?) from stirring all of my stupid apples so vigorously so they wouldn't burn.
Sara did some too. And just in case you were wondering, she did indeed request that I use this picture because she looks so amazing in it.
And this might be one of my favorite pictures of 2009, please enlarge it and check out Oakley's face; he looks like a fat midget. I also look amazing. Be jealous of our attractiveness.
And then one day when I was watching the twins, they found my stash of bottles and thought the rings on them were the funnest toys ever.
Nater-tater:


The end. Kind of boring update, but meh, such is my life right now.
Reesey-piecey:
So yes, just know that if a famine starts tomorrow, I will be chubbily living on strawberry jam and apple pie filling, and I might be willing trade it for some of your goods.
And lastly, I love all three of these kids. And I love that Nate takes over the cart and smashes Reese into the corner. He's kind of a boss, and I kind of love it.
13 comments:
martha!
stop yourself! you are amazing for knowing how to can & crap. way to be.
wanna trade me that yummy stuff for all my 6-year-old #10 cans of red wheat that's chillin' under my bed? [just think about it.]
ps: sara's babies have happy eyes. i love kids with happy eyes.
I am weirdly prideful about the fact that I use correct punctuation and spell out full words in text messages. I've never told anyone before, but I feel very strongly about it.
Speaking of which.... If you are running out of blog material it means you need to have a baby. In fact, I don't think anyone has started a "Melissa's pregnant" rumor in a while.
Hey everyone! Melissa's pregnant! Spread it like wildfire!
seriously Melissa... we LOVE that strawberry jam soooo much!!! It's already half gone & its been what... 3 days? You rock :)
My mom keeps a drawer full of canning rings in the kitchen for the toddler grandbabies to play with. It never gets old! Canning strawberries?! You totally fit in the Lindblom family. Good job Martha!
Ooooh- I hope the strawberries are still on sale. We just ran out of our jam too. Way to be so domestic. I'm still learning the whole canning thing- tried to make applesauce in the fall, lids didn't seal, and let's just say it turned out less than favorable. So congrats on mastering the art of canning!
I love looking at your blog!! You are amazing!! Thanks for joinging our family
Man do I wish that I lived close enough to you to enjoy some of your jam because I'm too lazy to try making it. : )
You are amazing. Please move next door, or next next door.
Additionally, I'm going to email you glamor shots of me so that you can use decent pictures on your posts.
oh martha! That is so fun. We made freezer jam with the strawberries from superstition market too. Only my grandma pretty much made it, and I washed the jars : ) If I famine strikes tomorrow, we will have to have a pb&j party!
ok martha, i would love your recipe or step by step tutorial if you would be so kind. I LOVE homemade jam! Never done it, but it's on my bucket list :)
Can you email me it? kblunier@gmail.com
you are amazing, and twins look really good on you! ;)
love superstition ranch market! too bad it's a drive out there sometimes :(
Am I the only one who doesn't know how to make said jam? Help me Mel. I already have plenty of strawberries. What comes next?
Post a Comment