Thursday, December 10, 2009

Killer Brownies

You guys, I have the most delightful recipe for you. I've featured these brownies on the blog before, and got rave reviews again recently when I made them, so I thought I'd share.
.
Ingredients:
14 oz package of caramels

2/3 cup evaporated milk

1/2 cup margarine, melted

1 package of chocolate cake mix

1 cup of chopped walnuts

1 package of chocolate chips
.
Directions:
1. Unwrap the bag of caramels and add 1/3 cup evaporated milk to them (note that's only half of what's called for). It's okay if you eat one or five while unwrapping.

Heat over low heat, stirring constantly until caramels melt. Keep it warm.

2. Combine cake mix, walnuts, melted margarine and 1/3 cup evaporated milk in bowl. FYI for the nut haters out there, last time I made these I was nervous because the doctor I work with doesn't like nuts. Um, he ate two. Tell snobby nut-haters to nut up and try them anyway. It should look like this: kinda sticky and it just holds together. You might even have some powdery spots, and that's fine.
3. Spread half of dough and press into a greased 9x13 inch pan. And don't be jealous of my pretty counter tops.
Like so, and bake at 350 degrees for 6 minutes.
4. Sprinkle chocolate chips evenly over hot crust. It calls for a bag, but I usually only use half-ish. I'm not a huge chocolate person though so do whatever you want.
5. Pour caramel sauce over chocolate chips, and don't try to lick the spoon afterwards because it is hot and will burn your tongue.
Then spread it all nicely, not like the crap-A job I did getting caramel on the side of the pan there.
6. The recipe then says "crumble" remaining dough over the top. Um, I'm a lot too obsessive-compulsive to crumble, so I get my hands wet (so that the dough doesn't stick to my hands) and press the dough into little patties (kill me for using that word) and lay them nicely next to each other.
Just like...
...this. And yes it takes way too long, and would be way easier and faster to crumble. But I like my inefficient way and will continue to do it this way.
7. Bake it again at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes. And ta da! Also, they are easier to cut and serve if you let them sit for a while after coming out the oven.
9. Eat lots with lots of milk. They are SUPER rich, but so freaking good. Clearly me and my pointy nose liked them a lot.
10. Thank me profusely for bringing these into your life.
See? I'm a good wife sometimes. I don't cook, but baking is my favorite.

19 comments:

Unknown said...

When you say, "Thank me profusely for bringing these into your life", does that mean you deliver? Cause I'll give you my address.

angiedunn said...

I have a testimony that Killer Brownies are amazing.

kellibattraw said...

mmm... they look sinful. :)

•stephanie• said...

congratulations on your awesome countertops.
they're exactly like mine.
aren't we lucky?

and i'll tell you a secret . . . when people would bring us awesome treats like at christmas, i used to tell my kids they wouldn't like them if they had nuts in them.

aka . . . more for me!!!

it worked for quite a few years.
now my offspring have wised up.

The Little's said...

Mmm. Heaven. Nice. Thank you. Profusely.

Gina Lee said...

You crack me up!! And you dont have a pointy nose, its a fine nose!! =) And thanks for the recipe...I cant wait to make them!! And I have a baby shower on saturday...JUST in time. Thanks!!

Janet said...

I agree, they look sinful, but yummy and I will definitely be trying them out. Thanks!!!

HooHoo said...

You could make an amazing step-by-step cookbook for beginners. Why don't you?

FiestyShamrock said...

Those were the MOST delish brownies EVER. Nuts and all! They are heaven on earth.

Kirk and Aly said...

Yum! Let's make some and eat the whole pan by ourselves next time you don't work.

Guthrie's said...

Thanks! I like the step by step recipe. Too bad I didn't read this before I went shopping so I could get some caramels and have some right NOW! But definitely on the to do/make list.

Colette Goodman said...

I have to make mine without nuts (Cooper is not a nut person). So they are only "attempted murder" brownies. I should make half and half. It needs the nuts.

Juli said...

Melissa I love you. You crack me up and I totally miss you. thanks for the great recipe!

The Jones Fam said...

Seriously, try crumbled for the top layer. It will change your life.

Sarah said...

Those look so good, but lets face it I am probably not going to make them because I like the dump, stir and bake method. :)
Maybe next time you can deliver.

The Jones Fam said...

I always have the ingredients for these in my pantry. If I don't I get nervous.. I love the pics of you making it with your teeny tiny waist in the background. As if to say, "I can eat this whole pan and still look like this." You should be a chef.
-nat

donkeybray said...

Hey, Melissa:
How come you only used half the emilk? Oh well, too late. I'm gonna make them right now and follow YOUR directions and just use 1/3 cup. These look wonderful--I'm sending a bunch of candy and stuff to Scotty and Cody in Chandler. Pretty sure these will be a big hit. BTW, I stalk your blog, you know.

donkeybray said...

Okay, I get it about the evaporated milk. Story of my life. I'm sure when Heavenly Father presented the plan of happiness: coming to earth, getting a body, etc., I probably stopped listening about halfway through and thought I knew all there was to know, then spent the time between then and when I was born planning out my salvation in detail and all the fun times I'd have on earth. Didn't read the directions all the way through. Like I said, story of my life. Sigh.

Carrie said...

Okay, made these and took them to a party tonight... and they ate EVERY LAST ONE!! :)