Wednesday, March 4, 2009

California was dreamy.

Our weekend jaunt to California was an absolute delight. Here are some of the highlights (or almost every picture I took, whatev):
CALIFORNIA OR BUST! You thought I was joking last time when I said that I take this picture every time, didn't you?
Then I tried to be cute, but I think I just accentuated my very pointy chin.
Our first night there we went to eat at Pat & Oscar's. Philip introduced me a couple years ago, and we haven't been back since then. The food is okay-ish, but the breadsticks, oh the BREADSTICKS.
We kind of had a love affair with them and went back every night for another dozen. Because we're awesome/chubby like that. And sometimes they give you a breadstick to nibble on (what the nibble? are we rabbits?) while you wait in line and take pictures. It's awesome.
The next morning we headed down to eat at the Sugar Shack which is almost makes the trip worth it in those three pieces of heaven/french toast. And I know that none of our delicious meal is showing in this picture, but if you look in the reflection of Philip's glasses, you can see me and our breakfast! What you can't see is how happy Philip is that I'm taking pictures of him eating breakfast. :)
Then we ate lunch at Chronic Tacos, another California must for us. And yes, our entire trip was based around food. And no my hair was not in my burrito...maybe. At least when I felt it later I didn't feel food in it. And if I did, I probably would have sucked on my hair to get any last of the amazing flavor out of it.
Philip also wanted to see if there was anything good and cheap left at Circuit City before it went out of business. And it was a birthday miracle because we got a bunch of crap for crazy cheap. And then for the rest of the trip if we passed a Circuit City we had to make a U-turn to see if there was anything there that we "needed". Unfortunately, the rest of them smelled like butt and had nothing except 900 copies of "Meet the Browns" and movies of the likes. No thanks on both parts.
I also snuck a birthday present in the suitcase and for the first time since we've been married, completely surprised Philip.
Now what was the whole reason behind our little trip? Oh yeah! DISNEYLAND! We went on Monday, and it was such a perfect day. And yes, I l-o-v-e the tram.
So I have a picture of us when we were dating in this same spot, and one time a lady came into my work and saw it and asked if it was in Maine. I felt really classy and well traveled telling her that no, not Maine, but Disneyland, and the pirate ship is hiding in the background of the picture. Splash Mountain is always the perfect way to start out our Disney day. We got on our own log and got to go twice in a row because NOBODY was on that side of the park besides us and the workers. Oh, and please ignore my hair, that right side was struggling. We like being pretty. Enough said. Remember what I said about being the only ones on that side of the park? Here's a picture to prove it! We seriously turned the corner around Pirates, and didn't see anyone until Splash Mountain. I thought it was funny/awesome enough to take a picture. Oh, and isn't the birthday boy so adorable? Neither of us have been on It's a Small world since like 1988, and we were pleasantly surprised with it. Apparently I'm getting old though, because I kept thinking how darling it was and how my darling kids will love it.
Us being scared in the Haunted Mansion. I think that the Spanish instructions that are said all spooky is what caused these faces. By the way, check out my eyelashes in this picture...it was definitely a good eyelash day.
Yep, us outside.
This next picture was soon after Philip hit his funny bone while shaking the bamboo that makes a noise and makes the ceiling lower. Did you know that the ceiling drops when you shake that bamboo? I had no idea! I thought is just made scary noises, so I made Philip shake it until it moved, and then he hit his funny bone and I felt bad for being so demanding.
What the Astro Blasters? Yet another ride we'd never been on, and it was super fun! And have you met Philip? He's competitive, and took this VERY seriously...
...which is evident by our scores. I accidentally cut off the first number of Philip's score, but I want it to be known that his score was actually 130,500, a mere 122,900 higher than mine.
Do we need another picture like this? Probably not, but since Philip wouldn't do a robot pose with me and C3PO in Star Tours, boring pictures are what we get.
I almost forgot about the teacups this year! And Philip would have been fine with that, but luckily, for the pictures' sake, I remembered.
And I can never quite get enough of them.
This, my friends, is the reason Philip loves me...
And I love him back because he laughs really hard when I look this good.
Have you guys been on Storybook Land? I never had until Philip and I got married and it is now one of my favorites! It is so so adorable, and it has witty commentary like the Jungle Cruise.
And my sweetheart husband took one last picture in front of the castle on our way out, even though it was raining, and we were very nervous that our cotton candy would disintegrate if it got wet.
And I might have had another bag in my hand behind Philip's back. Heaven forbid we lose any of that to the rain.
We got wet. And right after this we got more wet while searching a solid 10 minutes for our car. We didn't remember being so far back or so close to the hedges, and both had small panic attacks as the possibility of our car getting stolen in California ran through our minds. It would not have been awesome.
So that was our little trip! Very short but very perfect. I'm so happy that my 26 year old baby was so willing to share his birthday celebrations with me!
Happy birthday my love! You are so my favorite!

21 comments:

Mars said...

Hey! So I only met you once but saw your blog...which is fun,like it looks like you trip to Disneyland was! I've only been to Disney World but I'll have to make it to DL one of these days! & you are so cute!

Alisse Baldwin said...

Um, did we like turn opposite corners and miss each other at Sugar Shack, Chronic Tacos, and more? Totally didn't know you'd be in Cali this weekend, too! We should've taken pics in our wedding dresses together on the BEACH. Now, *THAT* would've been classy.
And Holy Speedracer on the blogging! I wish I had time to get caught up like you. Oh, and Happy birthday to Mr. Lindblom!

Alisse Baldwin said...

Here's a random, creepy comment to add:
I think Philip's hair looks cute all spikey/wet like in that last picture.

kellibattraw said...

I'm glad you shared your fun trip. At least I can visit Disney Land vicariously through my family. : )

Sheri said...

I'm jealous of the fun you two have! I as well love the face you make when you are on the tea cups! That had to be the one that made Phillip fall in love with you! You guys are too funny! I dunno how you go on those things though? I'd be barfing all over the place. Those were my favorite thing about DisneyLand as a little girl, but now, blah!

Kirk and Aly said...

What a fun trip! You guys are so cute! I almost called you to see if you wanted to help with my painting project, but then remembered you were in Cali, and was oh so jealous!

BTW - The picture of you holding a breadstick kinda looks like you're holding a raw hotdog, and I almost threw up.

james n mary said...

yay sounds like you guys had an awesome fun time!!! your weekend at d-land was a bajillion times more fun than our weekend!! you'll have to give me details on how you scored such a smokin' deal at the hilton!!

Sean & Julia Johnson.... said...

how can Philip be 26???!! oh wait.. I'm gonna be 30 this year. AHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!
ps- that first pictue of you on the teacups is actually super cute :)

EmileeandJonny said...

I'm SO jealous- I guess that's all I have to say about that... Jealous!

Busy Bee Lauren said...

At least when I felt it later I didn't feel food in it. And if I did, I probably would have sucked on my hair to get any last of the amazing flavor out of it.

I am in love with you. Seriously, that was so something I would say.

I have so much to comment on! I need to email you!

aniston said...

I love the picz Nice score on buzz.

HooHoo said...

Philip's eyes look like he was merely tolerating the trip until Splash Mountain. Genuine smiles after that. Hope the sisters come through with the traditional birthday graham cracker cake, for your sake Melissa. Happy 26th Philip!

Anonymous said...

Does Chronic Taco taste better in California than the one we have right here in Tempe?

Holly Janeen said...

you made me SO hungry in this post. i couldnt even finish reading it until i went and got something to eat.
and seriously, looks like a fabulous trip... i have never been (dont ban me!) to DL... and appearantly its the thing to do. i hope i can one day!

Jami said...

OK, how awesome that no one was there!
Also, I LOVE story book ride. Seriously my fav ride. I can't wait till my kids can enjoy it.
AND, I alway plan my trips according to FOOD. We love our food.
There was something elts that I wanted to say, but I forgot. I will remember later...

Kristin said...

I pretty much just can't get enough of your blog Melly face! You are too funny!

Dawn Davis said...

Looks like you had a blast!! And all that talking about food is making me hungry. Thanks for sharing the fun!

Kelli said...

Awesome jaunt. Trips always turn out best when they are planned around food.

The Jones Fam said...

What!?? You seriously get to come out to Iowa this May? That ties for the best news of the day! I am so excited! Will this be your virgin trip to Iowa? We'll try to make all your dreams come true.

Kev told me that you already heard that we are coming back to AZ for residency! We'll be Tucsonions, so we'll have to despise people who plant grass, embrace the desert, and promote dream-catchers.

Jake

Holly Janeen said...

ha! you are hilarious... great question... why set an alarm clock on a weekend? oh darling... it was not for me, it was for my dear husband. and why do I have to wake up and turn it off? oh its so awesome... basically i have to pee every three hours in the night, so i sleep on the edge of the bed- close to the alarm... i tell ya, life rocks.

nicole and kevin said...

I'm so mad that I'm adding a number to your comment number.
I'm glad you had a good time at disneyland. I wish I didn't already book reservations for our trip in May because you guys already did everything and documented it on the interweb. Why do you always have to beat me at everything.