Sunday, March 29, 2009

Boards.

To put it mildly, boards were horrible.
HORRIBLE.
First we had our anesthesia boards on the 20th, which was by far the most stressful day of my entire life. I was kind of a wreck, and I'm so glad that I had my school friends and my sweet family to help me be less of a basket case. But the good news...I PASSED! Yes yes, the one good thing about anesthesia boards is that we found out immediately whether or not we passed. The bad thing is that as I was a patient for another student, I totally got a hematoma.
What is a hematoma?
Well, it is when your face that normally looks like this:
...swells up and bruises (arrow above is pointing to the start of a bruise) looks like this:
...which results in a very lopsided and unfortunate looking face.
Awesome luck huh?
Then on Tuesday we had our written National boards, and that was straight up garbage. All of us came out of it thinking, "What the crap was that?" However, apparently everybody feels like they failed and nobody really does, so we'll see in 4-6 weeks how that actually went.
I was expecting to feel really relieved on Tuesday night when it was all over, but I didn't, and the combination frustration, anxiety, stress and mental and emotional exhaustion made me kind of weepy, and for the rest of the week I was on the verge of tears and was definitely not a sweetheart. BUT, it is for reals over, and I'm feeling lots better about the whole experience and now I can just focus on finishing up school in 7 short weeks!
Thanks everyone for the thoughts and prayers and for my family for putting up with me. I realize in times like this how truly blessed I am to have such an amazing support group and to be surrounded with the most amazing friends and family ever! You guys are my favorites. For real.
And hooray for blogging because I'M BACK!

8 comments:

Margo said...

Bless your heart! I bet you can't even tell your face is swollen...but I hear it hurts! And I am so not on the ball, but I am glad I give off that vibe. That is not good news to hear about Nov and Dec being sucky, I guess I will just have to endure. Good job passing though, I can't wait for the day when I am there, and almost done with all this madness.

Guthrie's said...

I was thinking (and worrying) about you just yesterday, and wondering if you had made it through Boards. I'm glad you're done. I know you will be an awesome hygienist!

Cassie said...

Wayta go girl you made it. Want to fly to Jersey and be my hygenist cause I hate my Dentist office out here?! What a pretty looking bruised face you have.

The Little's said...

Boo for tests! I will say (and this isn't going to help) that you will have nightmares about taking tests for at least a couple years. I graduated in 2004 and I had a nightmare the other night about a Final in a class I never attended! But, the good news is that when you wake up, you feel happy and relieved ALL day! Glad you're almost done! Good work! Oh, and sorry about your cute face...I hope the girl that did it failed.

Harris Family said...

That is fabulous... I love the feeling when the test is over and you want to throw all your study materials out the window while you drive fast (forget radar) down the freeway!!! Oh the freedom!

Karen and Joe said...

Ya I agree, boards are horrible and awfully stressful! But its such a weight off when they are done, so congrats!! Sorry about your hematoma hope it heals quick-ouch! good luck with the rest of school, your almost done, then 1 more year and the boys will be done, how awesome will that be....no more studying or school!! I so can't wait!! There's light at the end of the tunnel-yeah!

Jillsywillsy said...

You are so awesome girl!!! Good job on boards. You are almost done. Yay!!!

BTW. You are MY friend now. Not Macey's not Luke's. MINE!!!

I am very possessive. Can you tell?

The Jones Fam said...

Yes, boards ARE disgusting. The thing with those kinds of tests is that you can study for years and then go into the test and never have even heard of what they're asking about. Not the most confidence-building experience. Great job having passed at least 1/2 of it! I'm sure you did great on the written too.

Jake