Wednesday, July 2, 2008

History

Today, July 2, 2008, marks the four year anniversary of me and Philip's first date. FOUR YEARS!!! Is that totally crazy to anyone else? So, I've decided to give you all a little glimpse into our past, and will tell you all about that fateful night, as it was depicted in my journal. But of course, first I'll add in a little background.Philip's sister, Nancie, who lots of you know from her days of teaching and coaching cheer at Brimhall, is positively adorable, and she was my young woman's leader in my ward. I always LOVED her, and after I graduated I became her visiting teacher, which I was really really bad at. However, one night as I was dropping something off at her house and she said, "Hey, are you dating anyone?" to which I replied, "Um, kinda but not really," which was kind of but not really true. So then she asked if she could set me up with her brother, and I said sure, thinking that at least I would get a free meal out of it, right? Because I was a sweetheart. So, this is the brother that she set me up with... Now here comes the journal of the night, and it kind of makes me laugh what I thought at the time was important to write:
"July 2, 2004
Alright, so tonight I went out with Philip Lindblom, who is Nancie Lindblom's brother. He picked me up and we went to Island's for dinner. I got a hamburger, which was good, something I knew I'd like. He also got a hamburger and after he took his first bite, he like wanted to throw up because it had mustard on it and apparently he hates mustard. So he sent it back to get a new one and was kind of bitter about the whole ordeal, even though I noticed that it DID say mustard on the menu, maybe he should have read it a bit closer, huh?"
{Let me inject something, TO THIS DAY, Philip swears that he specifically asked for no mustard that night, just thought I would throw that out there so he has a fair say in this. Sorry, back to the story.}
"So he gets his new hamburger, and things are all fine. Conversation through dinner was easy, but he just seemed to totally not be into this whole thing, and I was kind of afraid/intimidated by him. So then after dinner we went to Fiddlesticks, and when we first walked in, we stopped and watched and laughed at the kids that were Dance Dancing their hearts out on DDR. It was awesome. So anyways, we went goofy golfing, which gave us plenty of time to talk and "get to know each other" if you will. But for reals, as we talked more, he seemed to lighten up and enjoy himself a bit more. So that was some good conversation right there, which continued through the rest of the evening.
"We then went on the go carts, and mine seriously went like two miles per hour. I swear it was made of like tin foil and bobby pins. We also went and played skeeball, which I love, and both of our machines were broken so mine kept giving me extra balls, and his was giving him extra points. We then played air hockey and I actually won a game, which I got really excited about. By then we had been there a while and we were out of tokens, so we cashed in our tickets for some prizes and called it a night."
{Sorry gang, I know the story is positively riveting and if you are actually reading it, congrats, but I have more to add in. First up, Philip told me after we got engaged that he LET me win that air hockey game. I don't want to believe it, but knowing my skill level, it is most likely true. Also, to this day, Philip still has the little prize that he got from that night in the middle console of his truck. Cute huh?}
"On the way home we decided to stop for Slurpee's, which I was TOTALLY excited about. He then took me home and walked me up to my door and he told me that he had fun and that we should hang out again. I agreed and got his phone number and we said we'd call. He gave me a quick hug and then I went inside.
"Now, here's my thoughts on the whole thing. He is a nice kid, kind of hard to warm up to at first, but by the end of the night we were totally cool. He dressed super cute, I mean, it was just casual, skater clothes sort of thing, but cute. He wasn't so tall though. I just wore my wedge flip flops and we were about the same height. He was cute though, and had a cute smile. Something kind of weird though is that he has a shaved head. Not like a shaved bald head, but like a buzz. I thought it was kind of weird at first but after a while I kind of stopped noticing.
"All in all, he is a cool kid. He seems to me to be somewhat harmless though, more like we could be friends and hang out a lot more than actually date. I don't think he thought of me as anything special either, which is totally fine with me. I don't know, I had a good time and it would be fun to hang out with him again."
FUN HUH? As nerdy as it is, I'm really glad that I have such an accurate account of my thoughts that night. It still makes me laugh that I was intimidated/thought he hated me, and honestly, he was just being himself, and he hasn't changed a bit, I've just grown especially fond of his very distinct personality. I also think it's funny that I was so concerned about his hair and his height. Oh to be 19 and concerned with such trivial things again. And as I had thought, we both weren't serious or looking to get serious, and we hung out kind of randomly for a couple of months, both of us just in it for fun, and then out of nowhere, we were both super into each other. And from there on out, we spent ridiculous amounts of time together, and fell very much in love, and almost six months to the day after we first met...we got engaged!
Of course at our reception, we had to recognize our personal matchmaker, Nancie, and honestly, I can't thank her enough for hand selecting my husband for me. Funny thing is that when Philip came home from his mission, Nancie said that in order to be sure that she approved, Philip should just let her pick his wife for him. And looky at us now! Now aren't we cute? Say yes.
So how about that? Four years later, and more serious and loving hanging out more than ever. Sighhhh, I like my life. I'm really glad that I went out with that ornery boy who hates mustard four years ago.
And fyi, he still hates mustard.

15 comments:

angiedunn said...

yes. {you two are SO cute.}

i love that you recorded every last detail in your journal. just imagine philissa jr. reading about his/her parent's first date... so tender.

i have a very similar entry in my journal. i quote: "i can't believe i'm falling in love with a cute, old redheaded man who wears a cell phone on his belt!" lol.

young love.

Cara said...

You are so cute! well you and the two of you together. And how fun to have all that stuff to share with your little kiddos later on in life! :)

Kristin said...

I just love to read your stories Mel. So entertaining! I'm so glad you found your buzz head boy and that you're so happy together!!! P.S. Kudos for having the guts to read your oh so personal journal entry online. Love that!

Lindsee said...

I love the story...and the journal insert! Genious! Yeah for Melissa and Philip!!

Marie said...

I thoroughly enjoyed my history lesson for the day. If only all history lessons could be so entertaining (don't tell Alan I said that...)
Happy 4 years!

Juli said...

cute story. You guys are so fun. I loved the journal entry. You crack me up!

Busy Bee Lauren said...

I LOVE your journal entry. It is so epic! I wish I had done that when Ted and I started dating 5 years ago. Eww. I feel old now.

I love that you noted his shaved head! I laughed out loud.

MeL said...

You are by far the prettiest bride I have EVER seen, still! Congrats on your anniversary, and I'm so glad you got over the buzz because I like Philip almost as much as you do. (Poor Cougar-Cuddle really didn't have a chance, did he? Well, what did he expect? His house was built around a harp?!)

P.S. Thanks Nancie!

Sara! said...

BTW- I didn't know you were e-friends with Lauren. She's such a fun read (maybe I sneak in to your blog - hence the previous comment that appears to be posted by yourself - sorry - so I can find the link to read up on her. Isn't she adorable?! Oh to be young again!)

Ryan Nelson Family said...

I really don't know if its all the crazy pregnancy hormones but I seriously teared up!! It might be because I love my brother and adore you! Or it might be that I realized that Phil has grown up and will actually eat hamburgers now.

The Fletchies said...

umm that was adorable slash really interesting and I hear by decree that all of the bloggers should give a detailed account of how they met their spouses and the thoughts in their heads at the time. That would be extremely entertaining. please all who read this obey my command. thanks

Anonymous said...

7.2.04...was a good day indeed. :)

Sean & Julia Johnson.... said...

that really made me laugh cause I can just see Phil sending a burger back for mustard purposes & then being all bitter about it.... just to set the record right, I DO accept mustard on my hamburgers... so no blaming me on that one! I never knew Phil was so hard to warm up to, seriously. It's kinda funny cause I never thought Sean was hard to warm up to, but I can definitely see how anyone else might think that! Wierd... anyways.. your cute :)

kellibattraw said...

Wow, I wish that I was as great a journal keeper as you were! I love reading your blog entries. If I can't live with the rest of the clan I can at least get to know/love you through your blog. : )

Nancie said...

I love this story(maybe because I always siad I could find Philly a better wife than he could) I remember asking you about the date on the following Sunday, Philip asked me to ask you and then report back to him. You left out the intimidating part and said you had a great time. Anyhow--yeah! you guys are too cute and I am glad to have you in the family!