Sunday, June 15, 2008

I like Father's Day.

So I've decided that Father's Day is lots of fun. Like it is kind of the more casual of the two parental holidays, you know? Do you know what else I like?
Mi padre.

My dad is pretty much the best dad ever. He is loads of fun and always has a witty comment to make you laugh harder than you expected. He also always has the best and very sensible advice, will listen to me rant about anything, is a fantastic example of a worthy priesthood holder, and has given me and my siblings everything we ever needed. He's also kind of a nerd, and I love it.

And I am pretty much his clone, in girl form. And I'm pretty sure I'm his favorite, which is why I was named after him. We are like Mel squared.

Isn't he handsome? And wasn't I a sweet little cherub? This is us in 1985.

I like this picture.

Another fantastic dad is my father-in-law. He is a very quiet and reserved man, but has a fairly ornery side which is always hilarious.

Here are the Phils squared. Crazy that me and Philip were both named after our dads, huh?

Philip decided to participate with our Sunbeams today and he made his dad a card and drew him a picture. He also answered the questions about his dad on the inside, and for the question, "I love my dad because:" he answered with, "he always lets me know when he is proud of me." I may or may not have teared up when I read that.

Phil is seriously such a sweet sweet dad, and I love being his favorite daughter-in-law. Something fun about Phil is that he LOVES the Roadrunner and Coyote cartoons and laughs out loud whenever he watches them. Isn't that awesome?

I am so so lucky to have such good dads in my life!

Happy Father's Day Mel and Phil!

11 comments:

kellibattraw said...

You're too sweet Melissa! I love to read your tributes. : )

HooHoo said...

Mel, your assignment is the life sketch, and where did you get that picture?

Kirk and Aly said...

Was Grandma Jones trying to salvage the plastic forks that we were trying to throw away in that picture of Dad?
What a fun and true post about our dad! No wonder you're Dad's favorite! :) He's the greatest!

Kristin said...

Love Father's Day!!!! Too cute Mel.

Sean & Julia Johnson.... said...

...tear....except I'm at work & can't really tear up like I do everywhere else... Ok, who am I kidding? It's everywhere!!!

The Fletchies said...

k so I read yesterday and it wouldn't let me comment. Lame. Anyway that is hilarious that your Father in law loves wiley the coyote cartoons. I love it. And your dad is amazing. I thought you were named after your mom and dad? Mel-elise equals Melissa? Maybe I just made that up.

Sara! said...

I'm the favorite, but you are a fweetie for the nice post. I, too, immediately noticed Grandma fiddling with the grocery sack. I miss her funny ways.

Kristin said...

Oh really...Bart told you something huh? Wow! Yeah...I'll be posting pictures of the actual pee tests soon. Look forward to that! Ha!

Alisse Baldwin said...

Oh, Mel Jr.

You are a little Melvin sometimes, aren't you? The best part of it all is that you kind of love it.

Ok, so our tele-friends. I still don't like Jesse very much! You're right, the snowboarding on his back was super cute (slash, had mecertain the ending of the show was going to be cancelled because they crashed & were both in body casts). But, I mean, he seemed more like he was just there for the competition than her. He would always let other guys talk to her, and , I don't know. I'm rambling. And I'm acting like this is important. But it kind of is, right? I totally got teary eyed watching jason with his son, too. Do you really think he was in the same park as him and didn't see him before that moment though? I'm skeptical. Because once again, this is important. TV is important.

Alisse Baldwin said...

K, I promise I don't stare at my blog all day- it emails me if someone comments, and I was just on my email. I saw the shorts at Target- but I only saw red & white not-cute hibiscus! They have black & white polka dot?! Which one did you buy them at?? I looked on Target.com earlier today and couldn't find them, so I figured they just had the red ones. Are they super short? I only saw size xs (which IS your size) so they looked like booty shorts. Please tell me my cheeks won't hang out! (sorry that I just gave that mental image on your blog!)

Sara! said...

While I do respect your standards, I don't think it's necessary to wait until you have 20+ comments on every post before posting again! Come on, I thought you were in blogger mode, and I don't get out very often, so please entertain me. Thanks!