Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Don't hate...

So I'm totally not the biggest fan of Halloween.
Here's why:
.
1. It's orange and black. Bleh.
.
2. There is always all sorts of stress about finding a costume that is better than anyone else's, which usually results in people being sad that their costumes kind of suck.
.
3. The candy is expensive and is way way cheaper on November 1st.
.
4. I live in a complex, not in a neighborhood, so I hate passing out candy. And by that I mean that I close our screen door and try to look as uninviting as possible.
.
5. Kids aren't resourceful with costumes anymore. When we were little we never had store-bought costumes, we would come home from school, dig through the costume boxes, then throw something on and call it a two-headed monster. (A picture of me and Kev as the two-headed monster will make it's debut soon!)
.
6. Oh yeah, and I wish kids were as white trash as we were. We never had buckets to put our candy in, we would use pillow cases. Probably the ones that were on our pillows earlier that day, and they might have been put back when we were done.
.
7. I hate it when anyone over the age of 12 trick-or-treats. Buy your own candy and stop being greedy.
.
8. For some reason, people that are generally sensible when it comes to fashion feel that Halloween is a perfect opportunity to bust out the uggos in forms of vests, over-sized orange t-shirts with sleeves rolled up, decorative pins, and animal ears. Basically, Halloween equals an excuse to be unattractive.
.
On the other hand, here are two reasons I like Halloween:
.
1. We are watching this tonight. Totally the scariest movie ever.

2. The Annual PCC. Erica described it best here.

Anyhoo, Happy Halloween everyone. But better yet, happy November starting tomorrow!

I LOVE NOVEMBER!!!

16 comments:

Unknown said...

We always dug through the Halloween box for costumes too - I never once purchased a costume. And until you mentioned something, I thought the reason we carried pillow cases was because they held more candy. My mom sure had me fooled.

Anonymous said...

I am not a fan of Halloween either (that is until I had Jaxon to dress up), but I agree. I was the ugliest on Halloween ever, one year I was a couch potatoe, yes I put sweats on, curlers in and stuffed with pillows to look fat. It was disgusting and embarassing! haha. Oh well, it is over and now the good holidays are coming! Yay!

Sara! said...

You just love November because of your birthday (thank me later with something delicious for letting the whole world know MELISSA'S BIRTHDAY IS NOVEMBER 19TH AND YOU'D BETTER NOT FORGET!) So, what did creepy blonde boy wear today?

Do you still have Changeling? I want to borrow it.

Kelli said...

Miracles haven't ceased...a new post! Hooray! I agree...I have decided that at this point in my life, I hate Halloween. College kids dressing up like morons is really annoying to me. I agree that Halloween is only good for pumpkin carving and watching scary movies. The end.

Macey said...

At least Halloween doesn't steal any colors away from Christmas? Speaking of which, I bet you are excited to be that much closer to your favorite holiday!

Sarah said...

Party pooper! I love Halloween it is so much fun to watch people being dorks and eating as much candy as you can, what is better than that. And its totally awesome to watch your kids figure out you get free candy. But I must say I miss our costume box and pillow cases too. I am not creative enough to make anything and my kids are just fine wearing tthe store bought stuff.

angiedunn said...

i'm in agreeance. halloween is by far my least favorite holiday. however, i like it more in my new house because i no longer have a neighbor across the street that likes to display his 40 foot blow-up frankenstein homer simpson in his front yard, months september through november.

angiedunn said...

and in answer to your question:

not ichy, very cozy. she sorta loved it. and i sorta wished it was in my size for lounge-wear.

i'm a boring mother, wasn't creative, and pretty much picked out of my mom's stash the first thing that fit chloe & called it a day.

amanda p. said...

I might call all my witching abilities back from Sandra Jones and put a hex on you for stating you hate Halloween. Just remember back to the Costume Parades from elementary school and feeling sick from eating so much candy and being kind of really scared when watching hocus pocus and love it

Jacob and Heather said...

I've started to have the same feelings towards the holiday. It's great for little kids, but it should end around junior high.

jacoblovesheather.blogspot.com

The Fletchies said...

while I agree with many of your statements especially that kids over 12 shouldn't trick or treat (yes that means you mexican mom who was pretending to be 13 who trick or treated at my parents house last night and who I only gave a mini tootsie pop) halloween will always be the most amazing holiday as long as there is cardboard to paint and halloween carnivals to be had (even if they do stress me out). as I told amanda most people talk about how the smell of cinnamon and spices make them remeber fall, I think the smell of cardboard and tempra paint do it for me. no more hating.

Laura Davis said...

I am with apperently the whole world with not liking Halloween either. It should be fun once you have kids but really it's not. now i have to make sweet-ass costumes that take me forever and only really last one freakin day, and Mo didn't even wear his he went with the store bought superman. I am terrified of someone stealing my children while trick or treating and it brings out the skank in everyone...even little girls (horrible).

Alisse Baldwin said...

Amen.

And I love when Laura uses cuss words in her comments. It makes my day.

I never gave you a surprise. I was going to get snuggly kittens scrubs or something, but Sara told me you had to wear certain ones in school. So, I have to think of something else now. Wow, I'm a really awesome friend.

HooHoo said...

Hey Miss, you can post your b-day list now. I can't wait to see.

Melly Mel said...

you are so funny! whenever I read your blog I can almost hear you saying what you wrote and it makes me laugh! I am so not a fan either. I hope you had a good one!

kellibattraw said...

Seriously Melissa, you make me laugh! By the way, I know your new favorite thing about Halloween is watching the Garfield Halloween special. : )