Sunday, October 9, 2011

Changes.

My parents are moving to Utah. I go in phases of being okay with it and crying like a baby.
Today I wasn't okay. I went over to my parent's house this afternoon to see them off as they go up there for the next three weeks to buy a house and for my dad to start his new job. They'll be back in November for a couple weeks and then in December to hopefully move the bulk of their things up there, so this isn't a final goodbye, but it was the beginning of the end.
I gave them both hugs, my mom cried with me and my dad told me to get the pouty look off my face (tough love), and then I cried the entire drive home. What do I do without my parents?
I realize now how lucky I have been to have my parents so close to me my entire life. Ever since I've been married, I've been able to go over to their house any time I need to borrow something, need something to eat, just want to hang out, need a lesson on lawn care, sewing something, or any church subject, or just need someone to listen to me talk. They are the epitome of selfless love, and I'm going to miss them like crazy.
I know it is selfish of me to whine about it, but even though I'm 26 and married and fairly independent, I'm still their baby. And now I just want to go have a good cry and take a nap.

11 comments:

Sheri said...

My mom was telling me about this:( She said your mom text her to let her know. Very sad:( they will be missed.

Anonymous said...

Do they still live over there in Mesa? They still are still the same as way back 20 years ago! Remember they are never more than a phone call away (which isn't as good as a physical presents, but better than nothing).

Rachel Marie said...

Exciting for your parents... sad for you. Good thing Utah is fun to visit!

Janet said...

I know the feeling, but just remember, they are only a phone call away!!

Kirk and Aly said...

I was a wreck today too. I had a breakdown when Kirk thought we "had" to go to Nielson's because mom and dad were out of town. I told him that this was the beginning of how it will be now, and I'll never see my family ever again, and my kids won't know their cousins... Then I just had to go and sob myself to sleep for a nap, but woke up just as cranky. I think we need to go to lunch and have a good cry together.

The Jones Fam said...

I know! And they didn't even ask our permission! So who's going to volunteer their house to be a surrogate? Whoever's house it is must always have Costo quantities of burrito-making ingredients on hand.

Jake

Kristin said...

Oh my goodness!!! Wow, big changes! Keep your chinny chin chin up girl! xoxo

Deanna said...

I totally know how you feel. Remember my parents did that exact same thing last year? Weird, but you're not alone. Plus now my parents don't shut up about how great they think Utah is and it makes me want to puke.

HooHoo said...

Dad went to work this morning like a boy on the first day of school. He is loving it and I am married to him so his joy is my joy. Doesn't make being away from my kids any easier though. Love you more than words can say. Thank you for taking care of your old parents.

Mandy said...

I am sorry - it's hard and it totally stinks. Johnny's cousin gave me the best advice when she said to just take it one day at a time. (Her parents had been called to be mission presidents in South Africa.)

The best thing we have done is re-institute 4th Sunday Dinners with everyone. We rotate between Mary Jo's, Dad's, and Mollie's houses because they are they only ones where we all fit. During the winter, we sometimes eat in my backyard. It's a great time for the cousins to get to play together.

Angela Brian said...

hi.

my husband went to high school with you, cory brian.

well he saw you kitchen and FELL IN LOVE, which is should because it is SUPER gorgeous!

we were wondering what color of gray you used?

like i said we LOVE the finished product!

thanks!

-angie

p.s. i don't blame you for being sad. living away from your parents is soo hard. when cory and i moved to this little eskimo village in alaska you would think the cold would be the worst part. nope. being away from the folks definitly trumped the negative 50 degree weather

thank goodness for skype!