Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Party at our house - Part 3!

Friends, it's time to reveal the kitchen. This was similar to the living room in that I really had to see past the paint colors. And I like color, clearly I really do, but yellow doesn't do a thing for me, and neither does floral, and the green cabinets were just a bit much. Please observe:
Also if you zoom in and look really closely, you'll see that all of the knobs and drawer pulls were the shapes of different fruits. Though I initially didn't like it, both Sara and Julia said how helpful it would be if you could instruct a small child to get something out of "the banana drawer" or "the peach cupboard." Regardless, those things didn't stay.
Of those two doors in the corner, the one on the left leads to the dining room and the one on the right is the pantry.
Remember my psycho specific list of things I wanted in a house? And how mature citrus trees was on the list? This is me freaking out about owning my very own orange trees. It is also a good view of the chandelier that was above the dining area that had small lamp shades with roosters on them. Hmm, can you guys think of anything that is LESS me?
Anyway, here are the afters. When you walk in our front door, the kitchen is straight ahead.
Oh how I love the grey. Erica, of course, picked out the new light fixtures, and accessories. The slate flooring is not my favorite. In fact, if anyone is thinking they want to install slate in your house, come walk on mine first and listen to me complain about trying to keep it looking clean. But it is what we have and I'm dealing.
We had our cabinets painted and replaced the knobs and hinges (shocking, I know). I love having the island a different color, and though it isn't what I thought it would be, I like it a lot. I'm not a fan of the butcher block counter top on the island though. Everyone that cooks well says they love it, but remember that I don't cook, so meh.
I finally got filler for this lovely little basket that Erica found, and the whole thing came from Home Goods. I am seriously a slave to that store.
Erica made the 'EAT' sign. Just whipped it up the night before she brought it over. She is amazing. She has a tutorial on her blog if you'd like.
And one more to show that we use our kitchen. I miraculously had this morning off of work, and Philip made me pancakes. He tried to teach me, since my one and only attempt like 6 years ago was disastrous, but I told him he can just be in charge of making them.
Our house is truly feeling like our own, which I love. Erica was fantastic in getting our kitchen and family room decorated within a few months, and we've slowly but surely been working on the rest on our own. We have now finished the downstairs bathroom and are almost done with the office. I'll then tackle the front living room and dining room, which I'm not going to lie, I'm dreading. But then at least all of the downstairs, aka spaces that people see, will be finished. I feel that this will forever be a work in progress, but I love making my house all homey. I still sometimes can't believe that I'm an adult and that this is all mine. Love it, love it, love it! Thank you again Erica!

7 comments:

r+s+a laney said...

so so so jealous! It looks great!

Erica said...

Glad you are still liking the things I picked out! I love your kitchen. And I want some pancakes.

FiestyShamrock said...

Looks fantastic! Love the color.

Sean & Julia Johnson.... said...

I wish we had "like" buttons on our blogs :)

Kelli said...

I love your house. I mean, I really love your house. When can I move in?

HooHoo said...

I love your tastes and the way you've individualized your house. Big thanks to Erica for the flare. I can't wait to see the magazine pictures.

Carol said...

Oh my word Melissa!! This is EXACTLY what I have been telling Jared I wanted to do to our kitchen since November! I am so glad you did it so I can show the picture to him and now he can visualize it better! Although I wouldnt have though to do my island a different color buti totally love it! Your house is adorable! I am a little sad you can't say go get the bowl out of the banana drawer though ;)