Saturday, July 2, 2011

Scorpion hunting

We have scorpions at our house. It's no surprise, we live in old orange groves and that is just something you expect. Luckily, they stay outside and hidden during the day, but often will come out at night. Consequently, that's the best time to go scorpion hunting.
  • Required items for the hunt: shoes (not flip flops, because then you are forever feeling like they are crawling on your feet. And I actually wish that I had irrigation boots for the occasion), black light, scorpion killing stick.
The other night I squished an especially giant one, and its guts squirt on to my arm! I FREAKED out. And then, I get inside and found guts on my shirt too! See those white-ish spots?! SERIOUSLY BARF.
Maybe I haven't been out hunting since then because I got all freaked out by it. Does anyone have an extra Hazmat suit laying around that I could borrow for like ever?

6 comments:

kellibattraw said...

Oh yuck! Believe it or not, I did not see my first live scorpion until just before we moved to Texas, when I was 26!

Deanna said...

Michael gets them in a jar and then burns them. No guts involved. You should try it.

Lindsee said...

Ick. Use a knife or a blow torch.

Anonymous said...

Um I can't believe you go out there?! Scorpions are my biggest fear! I found one in my house last summer and I almost had a complete breakdown!

Unknown said...

i got bit when we lived in AZ and didn't walk on the ground for hours... i just sat in a chair and cried i was too afraid... you are out hunting them!

The Fletchies said...

I totally bought irrigation boots at walmart for $5. Totally worth it. Go get some!