Monday, August 17, 2009

Life: Post-school

Have I mentioned that I like being graduated? It is seriously the most amazing thing ever, seeing as how I feel stress-free like 95% of the time. Part of the 5% stressed was this morning when I woke up 5 minutes AFTER I was supposed to be at work, which is 25 minutes away. That was crap. But the other 95% is amazing. You should try it. Graduating and being stress-free. Both are great.
On a different subject, and in relation to the picture above, why did nobody tell me that stripes + bad posture = not flattering. Those things look weird.

Back to life: post-school. Remember at the beginning of the summer when I reported that I had a job? And how they flew me to California for training? And then a bunch of people asked if we were moving to California? (I wish.) And how I said I wasn't that thrilled about it, but left it at that? Well, now I will finally talk about a bit more about it.

I was lucky enough to get a job as soon as I graduated. It was for a corporation that is based out of California, hence the reason they flew me there for a day. Well, I realized on my first day of actual working, that I am NOT a corporate dental type of girl. To sum it up, I came home sobbing, somewhat convinced that I was working for the devil in corporate dental form. So, the next day I tried to give myself a pep-talk, and tell myself that "the first few days are always rough", but also decided to take my resume to another couple offices. The day after that, I was put in a situation that I felt was unethical, and knew that I couldn't keep working there. So I quit. On my second day. And I told them I was never coming back. Because I'm a quitter sometimes. Judge me if you will, but I haven't regretted it in the least.

Sooo, that puts me in the unemployed category again. Luckily for me, I already had a working interview set up with another office, and it all worked out for the best that they hired me and I'm now splitting my days between two different offices, but working full time. So I went from working for Satan Dental (I'm afraid to say their name since I think they are kind of Big Brother-ish and would probably sue me or have me killed if I slandered (is that a word?) against them.) to working for and with dentists that I love and trust. And believe me, I am counting my blessings.

Anyways, on Friday at work my boss gave me a thank you note:

Who cares if he can't spell my name...he adores me! And he included a gift card to Cheesecake Factory! Like I said, I'm counting my blessings. So, if you live in Tempe, Chandler, or South Gilbert, I know of some great dentists, and a hygienist with a "great attitude". Their words, not mine. :)

And lastly, my house is messier now that I'm working. I kind of don't get it. But tonight I cleaned my kitchen and wiped everything down with Clorox Wipes and straight bleach. It now smells heavenly. And to reward myself, I made myself some Good Dip. Maybe it looks like barf. And by maybe, I mean, I know it does look like barf, but it is delicious. For crying out loud, it is called GOOD DIP!

Here's the recipe:
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup sour cream
1 can Mexicorn (drained)
1 can Rotel diced tomatoes (not drained)
Garlic salt to taste (between 1/2 and 1 tsp)

Seriously, it is good. I was skeptical when my sister-in-law, Natalie first told me about it, but have been craving it and talking about it for the past two weeks straight since the first time I tried it. You should try it. Today.

And just now as I was eating it, there was a giant hair on one of my chips, that I am telling myself was from my head. Especially since the bag of chips is almost empty, and that would be REALLY gross if it came from not my head. It was mine, it was mine, it was mine, it was mine. I love good dip. It was mine. There, I'm convinced.

Anyways, have a lovely week. And for all of you Project Runway fans...set your DVRs for this Thursday, and its now on Lifetime! Hooray!

11 comments:

angiedunn said...

I'm so glad that life, post-school, is fab.com. Way to have a good attitude. 95 percent stress free is SO the way to go.

I once quit a job on the second day because my gold-chain-wearing, very hairy boss told me that he was going to buy me a french maid outfit to wear everyday. {Among other things.}

A girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do.

kellibattraw said...

That dip looks like fun... I'll have to try it. : )

HILLARY said...

You are so funny, I have talked myself out of a few hairs too, only when the food is super yummy.
I'm glad for you!

Sean & Julia Johnson.... said...

I'm so glad that your somewhere that makes you enjoy your job :) I've temp-ed for satan dental... not fun! Tammie & I liked to call it hell. Either way.. .I'm glad you didn't sell your soul!

The Little's said...

I totally had the SAME thing happen to me as soon as I graduated college. I had to quit because they were horrible people, and I ended up with the job that I still have 5 years later! Totally worth it...Good move. And, I'm going to try that dip.

Ashley said...

What a sweet note!! Also, I just linked you on my blog... hope you don't mind but it fit just perfect. Good thing I think you're hilarious and had this particular post stored in the pee-yourself drawer of my memory.

Brent and Brooke said...

Melissa post school is so much more fun! I am glad you don't have anymore tests or crazy stress like before! Oh, and it's a huge plus that I see you more often now.

Let's meet up again at Carolina's!

james n mary said...

OMG i died when i watched PR last night! what'd you think of the ep?!

sorry to hear about how lame the job was :/ but you've got a boss that gave you a sweet note! awww!

Sara! said...

Whatever, they're hot. Thanks for pointing them out. I'm glad that post-school Melissa is back!

BTW, yesterday I had a new patient that I HATED, think Elizabeth of Jack and Elizabeth meets Sopranos. UGH! What do you think she said at the end? "That was the best cleaning I've ever had! You are very thorough and so gentle. I am never going to anyone else." WHY?? Why do I have to win people over? The upside was that she raved again to the doctor and makes up for my 4 months of moping since the one guy complained. So, I guess I have to die, kill her, or quit to get out of that draining appointment in 6 months.

Sorry, I could have told you this on the phone. Maybe I did, or maybe that was Mom. I don't remember.

Candice said...

YIKES, didn't know about the whole Satan Dental experience. I might have a guess as to what company it was though, Chris worked there too, until his conscience could no longer allow it.

SO glad you have found happiness at your place of work! It is fun to see you there from time to time.

Now about that good dip. It looks delicious, and I propose you make it next time we go to the movies, or out to breakfast. Thanks for sharing!

theniufamily said...

I love Project Runway, and I absolutely loved reading that post! You are so fun. Congrats on the good job situation. Life is so much better when you like your job!